Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Mercedes WIS CD

6K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  television 
#1 ·
What are the opinions about this 2 CD set. I don't find it very helpful. It looks to me to be a Service Advisor's tool at the dealership.

#2 ·
You are right,some of these WIS CD's do not have much useful info on them. I have just got the 5 cd set but cannot install them yet as you need 2 dvd drives.
Sinse it is not a good idea to have 2 drives on a computer I will make up a special computer just for car info.
Malcolm

#9 ·
jaybro said:
What are the opinions about this 2 CD set. I don't find it very helpful. It looks to me to be a Service Advisor's tool at the dealership.
I bought the 2 CD WIS from an eBay store in England for $17.00 USD and followed the install instructions very carefully. It installed well but I would not suggest that a person with basic computer skills attempt the install. After the install I found it very difficult to use and Searched for someone who seemed to know how to get information from it. As usual, Bob Terry seems to have a pretty good handle on the resource but I notice that he usually promotes the $75 DVD. It's my guess that he does this because it's easier to use and has a full compliment of information for US cars.

#10 ·
I bought the two CD Mitchell on demand for Mercedes Benz. The interface was so clunky it would only work seldomly on Win XP (16bit subsytem errors) and possibly not at all on Vista so I found an old HDD and installed Win 98 and then Mitchell.

Mitchell is very difficult to use and certain repairs are only found by searching the CD for other models that share the same components.

I did try to upload these CD discs to Biggy's FTP site for all to share but maybe because of the large file sizes it never worked.

Just as an aside we all owe Biggy a huge thank you for creating and donating an upload/download area on his business website :thumbsup:

#12 ·
I now only use the 2 CD set that comes with the insall disc and not the one that comes with paper instruction, I paid about £7 for them, they are very good once you learn how to use them.

You cant go wrong with this set, you can have details if you wish.

And hello Erik, did that ignition switch fix your 129, that was a long time ago, I have a 230 now a 500

Regards Malcolm

#13 ·
television said:
And hello Erik, did that ignition switch fix your 129, that was a long time ago, I have a 230 now a 500

Regards Malcolm
Hi Malcolm, I believe it was someone else having trouble with ignition switch, we have someone with that every now and then. What you might be referring to was some funny clicking noises I had from the passenger footwell which mysteriously appear to have vanished now... Fingers crossed! I believe it was our guru Bob Terry who suggested that it may have had something to do with the HVAC system flaps... But anyway, it's OK now...! :)
How's your new ride? You've been happy with that?

#15 ·
Hi people 2 questions about the WIS (2 DVDs set) I have.

1. Is it possible that the WIS stops by itself and what should IU do ? Reinstall it?
  2. Having an OBDII cable and the Mercedes 38 pin is it possible to hook myt laptop to the car and interface the WIS with the car directly?
Thanks in advance.

Cheers.

#16 ·
If the WIS stops during the install you need the "End it all" program to remove all traces of it from the computer before you can reinstall, otherwise it will never work.

The CD set from the UK includes this program.

WIS is a workshop program and has nothing to do with diagnosis, so you cant plug your car into it.

Regards Malcolm.

Erik, the 230 is very nice but far more temperamental than the 129, I just bought it to have some fun before I snuff it

#19 ·
msbarsi said:
Hi television what I meant with the program stops working is that my WIS really stopped working for some reason after a few months I'd been using it. God knows why.

Cheers.
I wonder if there is/was a time clock built in that stops its functionality after a period of time. I paid very close attention to the install notes and did everything according to the instructions w/o any deviations and starting having small problems at a later date such that I stopped using it until I can do an uninstall/fresh install.

So I use my M-B $75.00 DVD for the most part.

#20 ·
What can happen and does happen, you can turn on your computer one day and its all gone every trace except the WIS generator and start icon, this is not a time out thing, it just happens.

I use mine almost every day, Monday nothing,so went to remove all programs that it uses and nothing was there, other the the OPT and VAR files on the hard drive, once I had deleted those it installed again OK,, When you start loading a message comes up saying that no Wis files found on this computer, if it does not say that then you must find the remaining files and remove them

#21 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.