Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

got caught in the rain, top down

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Benz4Dirt&Sky 
#1 ·
my sl got about 5 minutes of steady downpour with top down.
anything to worry about.
we mopped it up. any electrical issues?

#2 ·
I cant think of any problems, the only electrics are those in the console and they will dry, sometimes I get television set's been in the rain for weeks, dry them out and they still work. Malcolm

#3 ·
5 mins of rain might not do it, but your electronic seat modules are underneath your seats on the floor...

if they failed, you probably would have noticed it already. but if you haven't touched your seat controls, then DON'T until you're sure it's dried out...

#5 ·
I had a rental convertible Mitsubishi...in Miami.

Not being from Florida, I had no idea what might happen to it while parked outside with the top down during the summer.

I started to raise the top and a co-worker teased me..."What?...You worried someone is going to steal your rental?"

So I left the top down and went inside for lunch.

After an hour downpour that came out of nowhere, the floorboards had three inches of water below the pedals.

Sitting in the cloth seat put me in two inches of water.

When I raised the top, about 5 gallons of water dumped onto a hapless co-worker in the back seat. Hilarious. Fish could have lived back there.

The CD player was shorting out and blasting the most horrifying sounds through the speakers. It wouldn't stop. So loud you had to cover your ears.

I had to pull over in the rain and yank fuses until it stopped.

We drove to the nearest rental agency location and traded the car in saying, "We were caught in the rain for a couple of minutes."

That car would have to be shipped to Texas to dry out for a month. I can't imagine it ever recovering in Florida.

Moral of the story:

Don't ever buy a "previous daily rental".

[8D]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.