Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Any Experience with the 4 Speed Shift Linkage?

660 views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  jaymaynard 
#1 ·
Took the '79 4 speed out this morning- I had just been thinking how good the shifter felt, when attempting to shift from 4th into 3rd, it wouldn't. Fortunately I was able to get home in 4th without any drama.

So what I am experiencing is this: Car is stuck in 4th. I can push shift forward and it sounds like another gear set is attempting to engage (mild grinding sound) but nothing else- no action other than that. And of course, stuck in 4th.

I assume it is a linkage problem, but hope someone has some input that will help me decide if I try to finagle it back in the garage and get under it, or of it goes to the indie from it's present location.

Thanks!

#5 ·
A shop that is open on Sunday or willing to open. Extremely rare.

Eccentric is the word. He usually opens around noon. I know there are times when he is working on cars after midnight. Sundays are about a 50-50 proposition. He was doing brakes on an Audi today when I stopped in.

Curious to know what happened.

#7 · (Edited)
Problem Solved, Part Number Needed

In the spectrum of what could have gone wrong, this must be the best case scenario! The circlip that keeps the shift linkage rod attached is gone. This allowed the linkage rod to slip out, disconnecting the shift from the trans. Of course, neither I nor the shop have any of these on hand.

While the car is on the lift, it is getting some new exhaust rubber hangers. I last looked at these in October. Since then, 2 have disappeared. Time to replace all.

#8 ·
In the spectrum of what could have gone wrong, this must be the best case scenario! The circlip that keeps the shift linkage rod attached is gone. This allowed the linkage rod to slip out, disconnecting the shift from the trans. Of course, neither I nor the shop have any of these on hand.

While the car is on the lift, it is getting some new exhaust rubber hangers. I last looked at these in October. Since then, 2 have disappeared. Time to replace all.
Glad it worked out as well as it did...besides the tow truck.

Those exhaust hangers might be "bouncing" off. Zip tie them to the hooks on the car.......at least then you won't lose them.

I used up 4 donuts on the Labrador Palooza until I finally secured them.

#9 ·
Managed to find one of the new 10mm circlips this afternoon. Trying to find a source for the reinforced rubber hangers for the exhaust system. We'll secure it for now with the regular rubber ones, but I like the reinforced ones better. Also noticed that the trans is weeping lubricant thru the shifter shafts that transit thru the side of the transmission. Will need to order new seals for those. Other than that everything looks pretty good underneath. Just happy I'm not dealing with a bigger issue.

Transport was no problem, my Allstate auto club took care of that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.