BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jun 2017
Vehicle: 1981 500 SL. Pastel Grey
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Help for a new owner (500 SL 1981)

Hi Guys,

Recently picked up a 1981 SL500 in beautiful Pastel Grey (81k miles). I have a few random things I need to solve and thought I would post them here in one lump. Here goes :-

1. The rpm needle rises when I start the engine and sits at 500. It never moves again until I turn the engine off (regardless of the engine rpm). Any ideas ?

2. The heater seems to be stuck on HOT. And after a while of driving the fan goes full-on for a while (making the car very very hot). I also noticed the dashboard is extremely hot. Is this a common issue and how do I go about tracking it down?

3. I noticed one of the catches had been removed on the soft top cover (that folders up/down to access/hide the soft top). I put it back on and closed it. Now it won't open when I pull the lever. (One side does, the driver-side doesn't). Is there a way to release it ?

4. The accelerator pedal has a lot of travel before it does anything. I read it is probably the linkage... is the right / a DIY thing to fix ?

Thanks so much for any help

Todd.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 03:18 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Mar 2013
Vehicle: 2008 ML320CDI 4Matic, 171K miles; 1987 560SL (die Weisse Lady), 117K miles
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Todd, welcome to the insanity!

I don't have wisdom to offer about three of your four questions. For #2, do you have automatic climate control, or manual? If it's automatic, which one is it: a row of vertical buttons, or a row of horizontal buttons? if it's a row of vertical buttons, that's the ACC system, used on 1978-1981 US-spec 107s. If it's a row of horizontal buttons, that's the ACC-II system, used on 1982-1985 US-spec 107s.

The bad news is that the ACC system is known to have problems, and in particular uses a servo made of unobtainium.

Also, it's properly referred to as a 500SL. The swap of the class letters to the front didn't happen till the 1994 model year, after the 107 ended production.

Finally, it's a good idea to fill in your profile and mention not only what car you have, but also where you are.

"Engineered like no other car in the world." That's both a bug and a feature.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 03:57 PM

Date registered: Jun 2008
Vehicle: 1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
You are a bit off Jay. The '78-'81 system is referred to as ACCII. (The bound to fail Chrysler design) The '82-'89 is ACCIII.
There is another variation on the European models. Not sure when it started. It has two dials at the bottom. There may be pictures of it in the EGv107 Sticky at the top of the page. European models may have the manual AC controls through out production.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 04:20 PM

Lifetime Premium Member
I checked. The EGv107 does not show the European controls with two dials at the bottom. It does show the others. http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r-c1...ml#post4552418
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
Thanks Jaymaynard,

Im not sure which climate control it is - it has the option code for air conditioning. In the vehicle it has 4 vertical sliders (two on the left and two on the right), and two dials (one for fan speed and the other for temperature).

I've updated my profile

Todd.
Currumbin SL likes this.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 03:05 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Mar 2013
Vehicle: 2008 ML320CDI 4Matic, 171K miles; 1987 560SL (die Weisse Lady), 117K miles
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Gibbs View Post
Im not sure which climate control it is - it has the option code for air conditioning. In the vehicle it has 4 vertical sliders (two on the left and two on the right), and two dials (one for fan speed and the other for temperature).
Then you do not have the automatic climate control. That is a good thing on a 1981, since the ACC-II system (thanks Rowdie) is notoriously prone to breakage and essentially unfixable.

"Engineered like no other car in the world." That's both a bug and a feature.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 04:43 PM

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Gibbs View Post
Thanks Jaymaynard,

I've updated my profile

Todd.
You have the first AC controls. The European version is as you described. A North American version with cruise control and another dial is pictured in the Climate Control section of the Sticky at the top of the main forum page page, EGv107. http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r-c1...ml#post4552418
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdie View Post
You have the first AC controls. The European version is as you described. A North American version with cruise control and another dial is pictured in the Climate Control section of the Sticky at the top of the main forum page page, EGv107. http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r-c1...ml#post4552418
Mine looks exactly like this one :-

http://mercseller.com/lrg/481_16.jpg

Periodically it goes into over-drive and blows on full (with hot air). Then it calms down and returns to normal. I read somewhere that its to avoid (something) overheating ?

Todd.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 03:41 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: 1983 380SL, 2000 S430, 1991 420SEL (retired) - RHD
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Smile Hot water valve

Exactly like mine (RHD). If it's always hot your water valve is probably not working. It is default "on". Could be vacuum related or the valve itself .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	107 Heater valve copy copy.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	2197266  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
Thanks AussieMerc, I'll take a look. Is it an Air-con system or not ?

Todd.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R/C107 SL/SLC Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.