post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jun 2017
Vehicle: 1974 450SLC
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Admittedly clueless chick, given a 74 450sl

Hey all! I was just given a '74 450SL as a 30th birthday present by my mother in law. It was her first Mercedes and has been kept in great shape. I've never owned an older car before and was wondering if it was normal when as I accelerated there was a very slight jump as the car kicked into gear. The car was all checked out by a very dependable mechanic, needs very minimal work, but didn't know if I should be concerned. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
SinSL, Currumbin SL and Mehitabel like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 09:37 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2017
Vehicle: 1984 380SL
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
My car kicks too. That's what a gutsy engine feels like. That kick can be made worse if the driveshaft rubbery bits are tired. Items like the flex disks, center carrier support, transmission mount, and differential mount would be the first culprits.

All of which are very easy to change with some basic tools, a ramp, and floorjack. What a better time to pick up a new hobby!

Post some pictures of the new car. How many miles are on it?
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 10:29 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Dec 2010
Vehicle: 1973 450 SL
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
1st post, profile filled out, picture of your car for your avatar . . . welcome to the forum - you are demonstrating more clues than many of us had when we showed up here. If you haven't already, read the stickies with particular focus on the D-Jetronic system. Service manuals for the chassis and engine are available either online or from forum members. The more you read, the less money you will spend on these old cars.

Are you describing an abrupt shift from 1st to 2nd gear or is it something else.

Did MIL keep good service records?

Brad Cushman
73 450 SL

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 11:14 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2017
Vehicle: 1984 380SL
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Also, not to frighten you but I would also check the condition of the front subframe.

Mercedes has an open recall on your vehicle. If your subframe hasn't been replaced or modified with the fix you should take it to a dealer and have it done (for free!).

It's a problem with the metal that can crack because of a lack of reinforcement against the weight of your cast iron engine block. You can read more in the Encylopedia Germanica (sticky post at the top of the forum). I would link directly but i'm on a phone.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 06:13 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: '72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '14 GLK250
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bflip View Post
Hey all! I was just given a '74 450SL as a 30th birthday present by my mother in law. It was her first Mercedes and has been kept in great shape. I've never owned an older car before and was wondering if it was normal when as I accelerated there was a very slight jump as the car kicked into gear. The car was all checked out by a very dependable mechanic, needs very minimal work, but didn't know if I should be concerned. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
There is a bit of a bump when you first move into drive. You feel the rear of the car squat down a bit. This is normal, and it will be more noticeable if engine rpms are on high side (they can be after cold start). After you are IN drive, the car should accelerate smoothly with gear changes just noticeable.

Perhaps you could find someone with a similar car and compare. Any 450SL from 73-80 should be comparable. There may be someone here that is near you or perhaps join the local MBCA branch

1972 350SL 4.5L - MBGraham, near Kingston, Ontario

Last edited by MBGraham; 06-16-2017 at 06:16 AM.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 03:24 PM
One of the BW Old Guard

Date registered: Aug 2004
Vehicle: 1988 560Sl
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Calm down guys... no need to get worked up over another female joining the group

Let me just say... Welcome.
Aussiemerc likes this.

RM Smith www.rmsmithco.com

Where is it again that we are going... And why are we in a handbasket?
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 03:31 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 1986 560 SL
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
They never stay long for some reason.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 05:26 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2013
Vehicle: 380SL, Jag F-type
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
I hope you come back to read this.

Driving classic car is very unlike regular cars. You have to be very attentive to warning signs - listen for unusual noises, pay attention to all gauges, especially temperature, and always look under car before starting to drive it - if there is a large pool of liquid or oil you need to pay attention. If something unusual happens - always pull over, driving home vs getting it towed can mean thousands of differences in repair costs.

Now, with classic car your mechanic will make a lot of difference in how expensive it is going to be to own it. You need to find independent mechanic in your area that knows these cars. Start looking here: Recommended Repair Shops - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Last but not least, it does help a lot to know a bit about cars. Thing is, places like this forum is very accepting of "please explain X to me" questions. So you are never alone when you have an issue - just post and people will help you navigate whatever your car throws at you.

Regarding your question -some 'kick' during shifting is normal, but if it rattles change then you need to look into flex disks. These are rubber dampers that are attached to the driveshaft, if they get old you get harsher ride. It may be time to replace them, there are two of them and should cost under $1000 to replace both.

Best of luck. Enjoy your new old car - it certainly stand out more than any new Porsche or BMW would.

Last edited by SinSL; 06-16-2017 at 05:31 PM.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 05:30 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Oct 2012
Vehicle: 1989 560SL; 2014 E350; 1960 190SL-sold; 1996 280C-sold
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
I'd like to also extend my Welcome and say what a nice MIL you have. I never received a car for my birthday or any other day from my parents, let alone my in-laws, and they were really good in-laws!

Like cushjbc, I'd also like to say that I was immediately struck by the fact that your profile was complete on your first post and your avatar was your newly-gifted car. It's often a struggle to get new members to do this, and that lack of information can make it more difficult for the members who have more experience with these cars to offer their help.

There's a lot of expertise here and any question or problem will receive suggestions or solutions on solving almost any issue. Although I wouldn't characterize myself as "clueless", I'm no expert, so I'll withhold comment on the problem you've experienced during acceleration except to say I haven't noticed that on my car.

Finally, many of the members here feed on pics, so if you have others to share, they'd be enthusiastically welcomed. Enjoy your newly acquired ride!

When out on the road, it's always best to watch out for Pot holes, Sink holes, and those other Holes!

Robert AKA: EEEEZY
You can't get us confused. I'm also "Nice", but NYYYCE is NEVER "Easy"!
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 06:00 PM

Date registered: Jun 2008
Vehicle: 1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Are you sure your MIL likes you.

Seriously, Just drive it awhile and see what happens. These cars like to be driven. Premium non ethanol gas if available.
ChiefRider likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R/C107 SL/SLC Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.