Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

NobbyPalooza 2017....North East Coast

6K views 82 replies 20 participants last post by  nobby 
#1 ·
I have a small "investment" trip planned from June 13 to 20th.
My Uncle in Nova Scotia wants to sell his property.
It's a property that's been in the family for 100+ years.
No one in the family wants it, so far.
I'm going to have a look.....I need to refresh my memory and look at it from a different point of view.
I'll be stopping in Montreal to see my folks and in St John , New Brunswick to see my cousin along the way.

And yes.......I will be driving The PIG.

Link to the "way there" map.

.https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/25+L...38e71e9a6228!2m2!1d-65.693093!2d44.689927!3e0

#2 ·
#25 ·
Perhaps your trip will cross my families "home"

My Grandparents came from Shelburne and there are still Hamilton's in the area....should you be looking at land near there and it's been in your family for generations...well....could be we got some common blood. Also had family on the near coast too...going back to the 1700's.

#7 ·
It'd be a shame to let you get so close without some kind of GTG!

There are certainly those of us close to the GB area, but if that doesn't pan out, Albany, NY might work equally well to do lunch, dinner, libations, whatever. Right now, we're free either the 19th or 20th as your Palooza schedule will allow, and if your schedule changes, give us a heads-up.

In any case, it'd be good to see you again in case you're unable to make it back down for the this years Aug. Car Show GTG in GB.

#9 ·
Right now, we're free either the 19th or 20th as your Palooza schedule will allow
Ferry crossing on the 18th.
So...19th would probably be the day.
We'll work something out as we get closer.
I'm game for a visit along the way anywhere.
A man has got to eat. :)

#13 · (Edited)
I will be over nighting in Portsmouth, NH at a conviently named Ale House Hotel. :)
https://www.alehouseinn.com/hotel/

So.......
Dinner in Portsmouth on the 18th
OR
Albany, New York for lunch on June 19th?

#21 ·
OK...for the past couple of hours, with the ballgame going on in the background, I've been looking for lunchtime possibilities in the Albany area that have a fairly generic menu that would satisfy almost anyone, have reasonable pricing for the items offered, and easy on/off access from interstate I90.
This is something of a recommendation that I found.

Ralph’s Tavern (70 year old tavern)
Extensive menu of burgers and sandwiches along with pizza, Italian specialties and steaks
Wide range of prices
Easy on/off interstate @ 1328 Central Avenue
4 of 5 stars out of 141 reviews
Open Mondays

Link to restaurant: Home

Link to yelp reviews: https://www.yelp.com/biz/ralphs-tav...sting&utm_medium=partnership&utm_source=yahoo

Now...Albany is almost 90 minutes north of us and we go there a few times a year for shopping, etc., but don't necessarily go for eating except for Indian, Thai and other ethnic choices as I'm a vegan. Since Italian generally has a wider appeal for most, and I can still get something here, this seems like a good possibility, but we've never been here. The choice was simply made on the menu, the reviews, the availability of alcohol, and the other criteria above.
If, however, anyone else with a more expansive knowledge of restaurants in the Albany area decides to join us, and has another recommendation based upon actual experience, I'd be happy to rely on that experience.

#23 ·
ALL are welcome.

Benzworld family, man. :)

I'll leave you guys to pick a venue. I will eat anything. Pretty much.

I can be in Albany by 1130 - 1200.

I am also open for dinner in Portsmouth on the 18th.

#27 ·
Because of my forum seniority and involvement......I've had a few stickies in my time, here.

Childish as it seems, I always get a rush when one of my threads goes to the top.

And I thank forum management for the acknowledgement.

Alas....it can be the kiss of death.

Bumped threads seem to do better than stationary threads.

No science on my part....just keen observation.

We'll see.......I love you guys......come have dinner or lunch with me somewhere along the way.

I can deviate from my scheduled route.

I'm a deviant, after all.

#29 ·
Glad to learn you both made it home safely. I think I'd be a little war-torn after two back-to-back trips to FL, but you seem ready and eager to get back on the road. Good for you!

Over the next week, we'll wait to see if anyone else decides to join us for our planned GTG in Albany as you again swing toward home following your next jaunt. We'll firm up our final plan as we go. Right now, I understand the plan is to meet in Albany at Ralph's Tavern around 11:30-12:00 noon.

Hope you'll be able to get a little rest before you hit the road again, Ironman!

#32 ·
Just returned from 5 days away camping....Nobette joined me for three of those. We had a splendidly relaxing time.

Unpacked and re-packed.

Up at 05:15 tomorrow for a coffee rendezvous with MrElbe....and then on to Montreal.

#33 ·
So.....everything is going as planned.

Had coffee with Stef....drove to Montreal and had lunch with one of my good friends....man I miss him....had dinner with TopNob, Mom and sister and kids. Slept at TopNobs.

Next day......drove to St. John, NB.

I relied on my GPS and it brought me through the Eastern Townships up and through Maine. I couldn't have planned a better drive. Twisty and turny and shaved 3 hours of the drive through Canada.

Stopped just outside of St. John to visit a cousin that I have never met before. She had NO IDEA!!!
She almost cried. Had a nice visit.

Drove another 15 minutes to stay with another cousin over night....good guy......we've always got along and we don't see enough of each other.

Left there today and popped in for lunch with my long lost cousin....and then she led me down to the Digby Ferry....off to Nova Scotia to Visit my Aunt and Uncle.

Attachments

#37 ·
So.....everything is going as planned.
Well, that was three days ago. Hope everything is still going well. Just checking to see if plan for GTG in Albany is still in place as below.

This is something of a recommendation that I found.

Ralph’s Tavern (70 year old tavern)
Extensive menu of burgers and sandwiches along with pizza, Italian specialties and steaks
Wide range of prices
Easy on/off interstate @ 1328 Central Avenue
4 of 5 stars out of 141 reviews
Open Mondays

Link to restaurant: Home

If, however, anyone else with a more expansive knowledge of restaurants in the Albany area decides to join us, and has another recommendation based upon actual experience, I'd be happy to rely on that experience.
The offer to modify the location still stands!

im totally on board
I dont have a R107 but its always cool to hang out with another BENZ Lovers
So far, Carl, you're the only other member who expressed an interest in joining us. Hope you're still interested as you'd be most welcome as Nobby indicated..."ALL are welcome. Benzworld family, man."

When you have the opportunity, Chris, give us a heads-up about confirming or adjusting your previously planned arrival time of 11:30am -12N in the Albany area, and unless another suggestion about a meeting place comes from a last-minute addition to the group, we'll all plan to meet you at Ralph's Tavern above.

Safe driving and watch your speed! :grin

#34 ·
Sounds like a nice trip and everything seems to be going really well. Always good to see friends and family members, especially those whom you don't often see.
Be safe.

#36 ·
Hi Guys, It's been a while since I visited the Forum. Planning a timing chain replacement (actually started yesterday) and the best resource is, well, here ...

Reading through the posts and wishing you a good trip! I like the "Schwein" License plates, didn't notice them before ...
Not only referring to the car ?

As ever; Pictures, or it didn't happen ... Keep them coming.

OJ

#38 ·
Well.....I'm back!
I've been in a wifi free zone at my Aunt and Uncles so I had planned on catching up on the 5 hour ferry ride.
No dice.
No wifi!

I made it to Portsmouth. Nice town. What a clusterfuck of streets downtown....really old city.
I drove past The Ale House twice before I saw it through the thick of the HUGE CROWDS!

Beautiful boutique hotel. I haven't slept here yet but I'd still recommend it.

My visit in Nova Scotia was great. I love spending time with my Uncle as he's the only one that will tell me anything about his sister that died 53 years ago....my mother.....and I'm 55.

Took a good look at the property and need to decide if I want to buy something that's been in the family for 160 years!

Attachments

#47 ·
Earlier today, our planned rendezvous went just fine. We arrived at the restaurant about 11:15 to try to insure arrival before Nob's 11:30-12N schedule, and were there just a few minutes when Nob came rolling in. Had a very pleasant 90 minutes together having some lunch, chatting about his trip and a dozen other things while enjoying each other's company.

Sorry I have no pics to share. No cellphone.

Always fun to spend time with Nob, and he's proved again he is an Ironman on the road. Hope to see you (and Steph?) in August at the GB GTG.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.