Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Becker radio wire question

4K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  cushjbc 
#1 · (Edited)
I am installing a new radio in my 380sl

Radio is from crutchfield as is the wiring harness. One wire on the Becker has me a bit baffled.

What is wire 5 used for?

It seems like a power line, and perhaps should be integrated with the new harness. But no use for it so I'm puzzled?

Im also wondering if it is part of the antenna power, which has been bypassed by the PO when they put in a replacement power antenna

See less See more
#4 ·
Called Crutchfield Tech support. He made some calls as well. Their thought is that it is the power for the antenna (particularly if the wire has some color markings under the black sheath.

I'll have to test that when I get home, but it makes some sense as the harness did not otherwise have a connection for the power antenna. I will be connecting the new head unit in and powering it up before I mess with this wire, just to see if the antenna powers already. PO put in a replacement antenna and disabled the antenna power switch, so a bit of trial and error may be needed.

#7 ·
It is in fact a terminal for the antenna power - simple rolled clip connector latches onto that spade. If you still have your antenna switch, look for a solid blue wire coming from pin bushing 2 of the connector (page 127 of the ETM). If the wire harness has been cut, I can help you get it back to stock - PM me if interested.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.