Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

What to do with an empty engine bay?

2K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  107merc 
#1 ·
Hi all, As a w116 and r129 owner, I couldn't pass up an 83 380sl with a jumped timing chain. I am currently retrofitting another motor, and my question is what are some of the maintenance procedures that are best performed with the engine removed- both to the used engine (e.g. timing chain, gaskets) and to the engine bay (subframe bushings ?). I would prefer to do some of the jobs now which will become more difficult with the engine in place.
Thanks in advance,
Adam

#3 ·
paint is an excellent suggestion

and biased as i am, I'd say get as much polyurethane bushing in there as you can find. and do the engine mounts and dampers, transmission mount , all your rubberware.
you might want to bandage your exhaust manifolds with that ceramic stuff. I was going to do it in situ, but changed my mind. mainly because it is a proper pig of a job in situ, even with the obstructive ancillaries removed.

#5 ·
What to do with an empty engine bay
Fill it with a Diesel engine, of course! :grin

Some other things to consider would be pulling the subframe, repainting it, replacing the bushings, doing any needed suspension work and welding on gussets if not already done. Other things to consider with respect to the engine would be bead blasting the manifolds and painting with high temp paint; polishing the valve covers; and anything else easier with the engine out. Obviously pressure wash the engine bay.

#6 ·
If you intend to install the Mercedes 5.0L engine like a lot of other folks
have done, then be sure and save the Oil Pan from the 3.8L engine.
You will need it if you use a 5.0L engine from a Mercedes sedan.

Reactions: Elmer Fudd
#12 ·
Thanks for all the advice- the practical stuff anyway ( I don't have a spare v12 lying around). I will pull up the threads on the subframe gussets. The swap motor is actually a 4.2, which was the best I could find (a cheap, running sedan) at the time. Of course a decent 500sel showed up for sale days after I got the 420sel. Anyway, the motor has good compression (180+ across all 8) and should do the job, but the plugs were a bit oily. Is it worth changing the valve seals? I would prefer not to pull the heads or do anything major, just want to get it running and evaluate the 380sl. Are there any other inherent v8 issues I should address on a motor without a service history?
Thanks again,
Adam

#15 ·
Are there any other inherent v8 issues I should address on a motor without a service history?
Not worked on a 420sel, but, ahem, assume....that it has the same need to have the timing chain, guides and oilers done. Would be no fun to go to all the work to get it swapped and then chuck a chain, bend valves etc.

I also made the suggestion on the steering coupler a bit back. Have a really good look at that now with no engine in place as it will be easier to get to and replace if needed now. If you have play, replace it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.