Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Spring compressors

687 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  frazierfrazier 
#1 ·
This is a job I've been semi-dreading, but these springs have reached the end of their useful life.

What's the word on these things? I see a lot of Mercedes spring compressors on eBay and Amazon, but I can't help but feel I may be taking a chance on a tool of dubious quality. These springs are scary, and the last job I want to use a potentially janky tool on.

#6 ·
Thanks for the link, nob. Lowering the lca is the way to go. i don't have the equipment to drop the subframe and compress from the top... yet. Compressor is required for the rears though, correct? And the tool will fit from underneath I'm assuming.

Going to do this in the coming months. Anything else I should purchase while I'm swapping them? I want stock ride height. Thinking of going with Lesjofors. Are their any "shims" that should be replaced while I'm in there?

#7 ·
The rears do need the compressor, and it'll fit up through the hole in the trailing arm just fine. BTDT, twice.

I have a $169 spring compressor that looks like the ones in eBay. Dunno if it's better or not. I do know that it works quite well. I also make damned good and sure that things are secure before ever moving the spring/compressor assembly.

#8 · (Edited)
For reassurance, I followed Nobby's thread (link in post #5) when I rebuilt the front suspension on my car. It was easy and safe. I had reservations about it - no longer a concern. Tackle it Frazier squared.

EDIT: And Oh - when you rebuild the suspension on an old car, it is the most significant step toward bringing it back to what it was like when it left the showroom. Very rewarding.

#9 ·
Yea, I believe you're right about that! I did my front shocks and sway bar bushings just to get my feet wet so to speak, and noticed a huge difference cruising at 75+mph. No more "swaying" around at high speeds. Can't imagine what it will feel like once I replace the rear shocks, all four springs, tie tod ends, subframe bushings, lca bushings, .....

Does anyone ever actually "finish" their 107? There's enough to keep you busy for a lifetime!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.