Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Opinions ... if this was your SL, would you make changes?

2K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  ejboyd5 
#1 ·
I found this Euro SL on Facebook and thought about what I would do if I owned it.

So, I throw it out to the R107 community ... what cosmetic changes would this bunch of SL owners
do if they owned this SL?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
My thoughts were to get rid of those god-awful
white wall tires, put on a gold pinstripe, and of course
take off the hard top. Not really sure I like the
oversized tires, and the paint doesn't look like
Mercedes Signal Red which I much better prefer.
Love the Euro look, kinda luke warm about
those hubcaps - they look better on a white SL
I think. JMHOOC.

#4 ·
Lose the whitewalls. If it is an original color, particularly something strange like gold, turquoise or green, put it back to the original color.

People who value early, skinny-tired D-jet cars don't do it because of the modern aspect-- it's because they are a missing link between the Pagoda and the big-motored, automatic climate controlled cars.

Celebrate the pure earliness.

#5 ·
I don't really care for the white walls. How could you tell that the tires or wheels were oversized? It's possible to get 15" wheels and hubcaps (off ambulances and the like), but most cars with the original hubcaps had 14" wheels.

Colour may be affected by camera or display. It's OK, but a bit bright for me :)

#8 ·
I'm usually of the belief that older (classic/antique) cars should remain as they came from the factory whenever possible. With this car, however, I'm a little ambivalent.

I like the matching color center caps on the wheels. Wish they had come on my '89, but if Rowdie's right ( and he usually is!) about the year, I don't believe those center caps are original.

As far as the whitewalls are concerned, I'm not usually a fan and don't remember those as stock on any of the British cars I had years ago. Although not original on this car either, I don't necessarily mind the thin whitewall, don't find them overly obnoxious, but would probably replace them eventually.

There was a rather color-complementary accent pinstripe (original?) on my car when it was purchased, and I find it to be attractive and discrete enough to be left alone if you were to add one.

Hard to tell about the color from the pic. It does seem a little bright, but if it's original, I'd leave it. If not??

Your call, but either way, it looks like a decent car based on the one pic. Any others available??

#11 ·
I like it, ..

I find it interesting that a 107 owner can add or subtract certain features and turn a series three car into a series one. All the positives of the better body protection, seats,air con etc,yet make it look like an early (71-72) car. How many other classics can you do that with. Yes it's definitely different but I'm guessing the owner dropped a lot of cash on getting the exact "look" that he wanted. Fine example in my opinion.

John :x

#14 ·
They are 15 Inch wheels which is a good move given the limited tire selection at 14", I would have gone for a lower aspect and ditch the whitewall.. As for the overall appearance. If this were done as a styling exercise I am not much for it. If though these new parts and changes were made to make a tired car serviceable.... Good for him. Other than that... Live and let live.

#16 ·
They are 15 Inch wheels which is a good
Better eyes than I have. Not saying you or Carl are wrong, but to my untrained eye, doesn't look much different than my 14" wheels. Tires would be approx same diameter, so I guess it is sidewall width you are looking at? Those whitewalls make it harder to judge. Maybe there was more info on Facebook site?

Not important. Just curious. Nice car regardless.

Attachments

#15 ·
Looks good to me.
The white wall tires are not really a problem. It would just encourage me to do burnouts until they need to be replaced. If I would change anything, but that would depend if the car needs a repaint or not, I would shave the side marker lights.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.