Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

380SL won't idle

3K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  peter.k 
#1 ·
with the weather getting nice in NY time came to start my 380SL . I had it pushed out from garage last weekend after sitting there whole winter. Ive tried to start it but i wouldn't crank. I got new battery and have it installed today. The car cranks but won't fire up unless i keep my foot on gas pedal and crank it for a while. As soon as I get my foot off the gas the car dies. It was running fine with hot start issue before I parked it for a winter. Ive parked it with full tank of gas with some stabil added.
I assume since its running with gas pedal depressed that I'm getting air fuel and spark. Question is what might cause hard cold start and no idle? Car is '85 grey market 380SL, true milage unknown, odometer died at 117k miles in 2006 or so..
Last year I had done ate local indy ( Gene):
Spark plugs - NGK
Fuel filter
Adjust Fuel rate ( i guess mixture)
Fuel pressure and timing checked

I also have receipts from previous owner from 2014 for:
Fuel pump + hoses + ignition control unit,

Thanks for your help.

See less See more
#6 ·
That was my first thought. The way I understand it is if I push the gas pedal throttle body goes lower which makes the injectors increase the pressure. Ill try some carb cleaner to see if it'll idle without pushing the gas pedal. If it will this will indicate fuel delivery problem..

#9 ·
Well it didn't go as planned. As soon as I pulled from driveway she died at first lights. And than at every intersection. I went back home a took, took of air cleaner box and noticed oil dripping from crank case vent tube and inside air box. I guess that will have to be reason why it stalls. Now to find why so much oil is going thru vent tube.

#10 ·
Quick update in case anyone is reading.
I let her cool down and starred her without air box. She fired right up and idled. Not smooth but idled. I rev her few times and she kept on revwinf and idling after I let off the gas. I figured I'll put air baize back on but I've left the vent from crankcase disconnected. 11 miles on local streets she idled perfectly , no loss of power and no dying. After I've parked her I've checked under the hood expecting everything to be covered in oil from vent pipe but to my surprise it was pretty dry there.. maybe something got clogged over the winter months. I'll reconnect the vent and see what happens when I have time this week.
To be continued...,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.