Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Hardtop issue

1K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Currumbin SL 
#1 ·
This 560sl is a new purchase. The hardtop will not fit. Everything latches right except the drivers side latch. It's too far to the rear so won't go down the hole to latch up. Are there any adjustments for this issue. It's almost like the top has been tweaked.

#5 ·
It is the one on the driver side B pillar. I'm becoming more convinced this top has been tweaked. My car is red but I can see white in small spots on the top, so I believe it is not original to the car. The top was on the car when I bought it and it was a bugger to get it off. Also the drip rails didn't line up very well on the driver side. Thanks Fonzi for your quick response.

#6 ·
The b-pillar locks are adjustable. I'm not sure whether it is possible to adjust the latch on the body side, but the peg on the top is adjustable. I can't recall exactly how, but I think there are two nuts tightened together that can be quite difficult to loosen.

I would think you should be able to at least put the top on the car, even if you aren't able to lock down that one peg.

#9 ·
Try this, ...

My 500SL didn't have a hardtop when I bought it so I used my parts car hardtop. Sounds like the same sort of problem I was having as the b pillar would not lock on the drivers side. I have made the lock work by lying across the hardtop from the passenger side and using my right arm to drag down the top by using the rear wheel arch as my pivot point. My car is rhd so I guess in your case it will be your left arm doing all the work as your other hand holds the locking lever to lock.

PS,do not have a belt buckle on when you do this as I now have yet another long scratch in my silver hardtop from being forgetful on my last 'mounting' :frown

John

#10 ·
My 500SL didn't have a hardtop when I bought it so I used my parts car hardtop. Sounds like the same sort of problem I was having as the b pillar would not lock on the drivers side. I have made the lock work by lying across the hardtop from the passenger side and using my right arm to drag down the top by using the rear wheel arch as my pivot point. My car is rhd so I guess in your case it will be your left arm doing all the work as your other hand holds the locking lever to lock.

PS,do not have a belt buckle on when you do this as I now have yet another long scratch in my silver hardtop from being forgetful on my last 'mounting' :frown

John
As stated above the up and down travel can be adjusted. OP has a different problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.