Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

350slc or 450slc?

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  unavita 
#1 ·
I recently purchased this car, and cannot figure what it is. I'm not super familiar with these models any help is appreciated.

The car is badged as a 450SLC, but from what I understand the vin which is 10702312013616 indicates that it is a 350SLC.

I have attached a picture of the option plate.

Thank you.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Thank you!

Is there any reason it might have been rebadged? Is there a way I can determine which engine it has?

I'm thinking its a grey market car because it has all the euro bits on it.

I'm wondering if there is a resource on finding out the history of the car through a Mercedes dealer or something like that?

I appreciate it!

-Casey

#5 ·
Please complete you profile with model and location.

If it is in North America it is a grey market vehicle as the 107.023 was never sold here by MBUSA. I doubt you will have luck finding history.

Judging by the VIN it most likely has an M116.984 engine which would be Bosch CIS/K-Jet injection. To be sure I would have to see an engine picture or you could find the engine number which is stamped into the top of the block at the rear and below the left cylinder head.

#6 ·
Buy an SLC on your driving style. I know that for me, a road course old lover, I would love to know what a 280 or 300 manual feels like. I'd love to get my hands on one from the SL Shop.... but they don't make one. (an SLC I mean). And an AMG? Forget about it. But anyway, Rowie is correct of course! I didn't see or look of the year so... that could be a solid lifter car... translation: more up keep on adjusting lash but arguably more power capability in some ranges (rpm I mean). Lighter is always better IMHO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.