LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Oct 2015
Vehicle: 1977 450 sl
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Where is the starter shim proceedure in the manual???

Probably missed it more than a dozen times, but where in the manual is the procedure to get the correct shims for the starter?

I tried the online one and also looked in my MB engine and Chassis manuals and have not seen it yet. I also tried searching on here and did not find what I was looking for.

Reasoning is that I pulled a replacement Bosch starter off the car just now and no shims. I read on here that it is somewhat common for someone replacing the starter to just leave off/forget to install the shim back on the car.

Looking at the EPC it shows 1161510252 as the part number for the shim (1mm thickness). From what little I have read most seem to have 1 shim, but then there is some intimation that you may need more than that for correct placement.

Sooooooo, anyone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 07:07 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: '72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '14 GLK250
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I seem to recall having same problem. I recall finding something, but for some reason starter seems to missing from manuals.

I don't think there is an easy way to determine if and how many shims are needed. Probably a trial and error process in a not too handy location.

My previous starter had 1or2 shims, but the shop did not re-install them when they put in the newer style more compact starter. Didn't seem to be a problem. No unusual noises.
Hillingdoner likes this.

1972 350SL 4.5L - MBGraham, near Kingston, Ontario
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 05:11 AM
Outstanding Contributor
Bob's Your Uncle!

Date registered: Feb 2005
Vehicle: The PIG -'83 280 SL 5 speed
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1554 Post(s)
I don't think that shims are always going to be found installed.

I have 2 engines and no shims on either.

And no abnormal starter noises.

Sorry....didn't really answer your question.
Hillingdoner likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobby View Post
ils peuvent aller se faire mettre

www.benzypalooza.com

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 07:02 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2008
Vehicle: 1984 380SL
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Looking through my engine manual, the starter is listed as part of the electrical equipment. This is covered in the chassis manual but the only reference I can find is in the wiring diagram.
Hillingdoner likes this.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 09:44 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2014
Vehicle: 1976 450SL
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillingdoner View Post
Probably missed it more than a dozen times, but where in the manual is the procedure to get the correct shims for the starter?

I tried the online one and also looked in my MB engine and Chassis manuals and have not seen it yet. I also tried searching on here and did not find what I was looking for.

Reasoning is that I pulled a replacement Bosch starter off the car just now and no shims. I read on here that it is somewhat common for someone replacing the starter to just leave off/forget to install the shim back on the car.

Looking at the EPC it shows 1161510252 as the part number for the shim (1mm thickness). From what little I have read most seem to have 1 shim, but then there is some intimation that you may need more than that for correct placement.

Sooooooo, anyone?
There wasn't any shims on my '76; how did you approach removing the upper bolt?
Hillingdoner likes this.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Senior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBGraham View Post
I seem to recall having same problem. I recall finding something, but for some reason starter seems to missing from manuals.

I don't think there is an easy way to determine if and how many shims are needed. Probably a trial and error process in a not too handy location.

My previous starter had 1or2 shims, but the shop did not re-install them when they put in the newer style more compact starter. Didn't seem to be a problem. No unusual noises.
Just getting back to it this AM. Thanks for the post! When I looked through the manuals yesterday the only thing I was able to find so far is a tiny section 15 in the Chassis manual that talks about electrical, but nothing else.

Starter should arrive today. SR59X Bosch starter from autohaus. Not sure if going to be the exact same size as the one I have as there are no numbers left on the Bosch tag on the one I took off. Bosch Remanufactured clear as a bell on the sticker, but any part number is gone by the look of it. Guess we'll see.

My estimation is the shim/s just there to centre up the teeth how they mesh distance wise with the wheel. Maybe reduce the amount of potential "hang" of the starter teeth in the wheel once it engages. If it extends too far into the teeth then potentially I'd guess that there is more issue with it hanging that little bit extra until it can spin out and disengage.

EPC gives no info on number, but interestingly I see on some other later models there is a quantity listed (one from what I remember).
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Senior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobby View Post
I don't think that shims are always going to be found installed.

I have 2 engines and no shims on either.

And no abnormal starter noises.

Sorry....didn't really answer your question.

Well, kind of does in a way. Worse comes to worse I can just install like the old one was with no shim (it was a replacement too). I'm going to have another look through the engine manual here in a bit and see if I can find any info on starter removal and installation at all. It might be a deal that from the factory they may have just put the one shim on and that is how it came. When you change the starter out you just put the old shim back on. No real measure procedure or anything. Although, unless MB was just adapting some existing starter to fit and work on the engines then you would think that they would make the nose cone and internals to match the engine it was used on rather than having to use spacers.

If the starter is a mesh contact pattern thing like setting up a rear end then you'd think they would have a good section on it.......
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Senior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weather Man View Post
Looking through my engine manual, the starter is listed as part of the electrical equipment. This is covered in the chassis manual but the only reference I can find is in the wiring diagram.
Same here. Section 15 that is a tiny couple a three pages on the electrical stuff. On my manual the section was in the middle of a lot of higher number sections as well. You'd think they would at least follow the numerical sequence to make it easier to find.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Senior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by osheam View Post
There wasn't any shims on my '76; how did you approach removing the upper bolt?
Probably jinxing myself saying that I found it fairly easy to remove the starter. Probably now the new one will not go on for love nor money.

What I did was to remove the main battery power cable at the junction box on the inner wing along with the three smaller wires that are screwed to the bus bar on the back of the coolant tank bracket. Then slid the harness clips (two) off the wing seam and the bracket piece under the exhaust manifold. Got to that one through the exhaust manifold. Used the puller to remove the centre link on that side and push it out of the way. Then took off the bottom bolt and nut on the starter. To get to the top one I removed the heat shield that runs on the bottom of the exhaust pipe that side (just a few small screws). This gave me a bit more room.

Looking up from the back of the engine I could see the 19mm bolt head. I used a 3/8 drive 19mm shallow Snap On impact socket, a 2" 3/8 drive extension, a 3/8 drive ball swivel on that and then a long 3/8 drive extension down to a Snap On 3/8 impact wrench. In getting all in I put the socket extension stuff all together and inserted it down the side of the exhaust pipe and up past the starter bolt until the socket was able to drop down and straight into place.

The socket and first extension are straight back then and put you back enough to give you room for the ball swivel and then that angles down with the longer extension. Once I had it all in place I pushed the impact on and buzzed the bolt right out. I left it in the hole so I did not have to fish it back when I put the new starter on. Not sure how it would be room wise if you were to use 1/2" drive stuff. I thought it might be a little tight room wise so never tried.

If you need pics or details let me know and I'll get them for you.
cwmoser and Elmer Fudd like this.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Senior Member

(Thread Starter)
Been through the entire Engine Service manual again and see nothing about the starter. Talked to Tracy and "The car does use the shim(s) as needed. I do not know how many, looks like they are 1mm thick."

No info on how you determine the optimum spot. My only thought is that if installed with no shims then perhaps the engagement length due to hanging in the gear (as I sort of mentioned above) might eventually cause issue. No if that is an issue of the starter going out or the ring gear getting extra wear I could not say.

So, with absence of knowing exactly where MB wants the thing to position sort of scuppered.
Elmer Fudd likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R/C107 SL/SLC Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in