post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 1986 560 SL
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
OT: Modern cars

Normally I don't do any work on the modern cars in my fleet. I guess I'm too intimidated by the gee-whiz electronics and the shrouds that don't let you see anything that matters. No dipstick! - whose genius idea is that?

Anyway, the 2008 BMW was running rough and showing a "service engine soon" light. I am just about to sell this car and am reluctant to spend dealer dollars on fixing it first, so I decided to give it a go myself.

I borrowed an OBDII reader from my neighbour and discovered a misfire in cylinder #1, which I surmised is likely a faulty dedicated coil (6 of those on this engine) or less likely a bad plug. It took me a half hour to excavate my way to the coils, and I confirmed the suspect was bad by swapping it to another cylinder where the problem followed it. New coil is on its way from Amazon ($40). Another half hour reassembly and I'm done.

I'm a bit proud of myself and slightly less intimidated now. Not that I'm about to start disassembling turbochargers or the like.

PS: Kudos to Youtube and its contributors for useful tutorials.
cwmoser, Aussiemerc, abiby and 3 others like this.

Last edited by dugald; 04-18-2017 at 03:21 PM. Reason: add PS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 04:26 PM
w108,107 Parts Hoarder

Date registered: Jun 2010
Vehicle: 4Keep:450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500seAMG 2sell:500sl92 380se83 300se86 350sl4sp 75slc MorInSig
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1763 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Coil packs aren't much newer than our 107s. I am intimidated by the price tag though. $50 for a single coil, or $40 per cylinder. You won by $10 this time, but I decided to pass on a v12 1996 600sl r129 because it had at least three cylinders not firing right. My reading showed me you might spend $80/cylinder because there's more than just the coil pack to replace in that car's case. That's where more common cheaper parts like Honda (or generic brand) parts are nice. It's nice to drive down the street and pick up an alternator in stock at autozone for under $100. That doesn't happen with old cars. You may have been able to pick up a coil pack locally and had the job "done" if in a rush.

My signature:
Click for list of my 34 MB since 2010. If, you want 70's-80's Mercedes tuner wheels, let me know.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 05:05 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2004
Vehicle: 1983 380SL, ivory/dk brown, 44k miles, dual roller timing chain. 1986 560SL, red/white, 184K mile.
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1155 Post(s)
I agree, YouTube is a great resource.
I had a similar experience with my son's Isuzu Trooper.
It too has coil packs - misfiring on Cylinder 3.
I just removed the Coil and Spark Plug, cleaned, and replaced - OK.
One resource for OBD2 I like if you have an Android-based Smartphone is to purchase a Bluetooth enabled ELM327 interface (Ebay or Amazon < $10.00) that plugs into your OBD2 connector. I run the App called Torque on my Smartphone to read the codes, clear codes, and monitor sensors like Fuel Trims. Really wish our R107's had OBD2. If I someday purchase an R129, its going to be later year ones with the OBD2 interface.

BTW, it still continues to amaze me how Electronics and Software has eliminated the function of the mechanical Distributor. That is an ingenious development.
RLT61 likes this.

Carl

"You have chosen to drive a MERCEDES-BENZ, a car in whose construction and production we have taken great pains because we believe that quality is not a matter of chance." -- page 3, Owners Manual 380SL
Timing Chain, Subframe, wiring harness, Climate Control, Rust prevention, etc.

Last edited by cwmoser; 04-18-2017 at 05:10 PM.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 05:45 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2016
Vehicle: 86 560SL
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwmoser View Post
I agree, YouTube is a great resource.
I had a similar experience with my son's Isuzu Trooper.
It too has coil packs - misfiring on Cylinder 3.
I just removed the Coil and Spark Plug, cleaned, and replaced - OK.
One resource for OBD2 I like if you have an Android-based Smartphone is to purchase a Bluetooth enabled ELM327 interface (Ebay or Amazon < $10.00) that plugs into your OBD2 connector. I run the App called Torque on my Smartphone to read the codes, clear codes, and monitor sensors like Fuel Trims. Really wish our R107's had OBD2. If I someday purchase an R129, its going to be later year ones with the OBD2 interface.

BTW, it still continues to amaze me how Electronics and Software has eliminated the function of the mechanical Distributor. That is an ingenious development.
I use a similar ELM interface but for the IPhone with an app called DashCommand. It is amazing all the information that is at your finger tips.
I primarily use it to reset the same code that I get on a regular basis (about every 3-4 month) on my Honda S2000. The fault is related to the evaporation circuit. I am just too lazy to fix it. The R107 takes priority.
cwmoser and abiby like this.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 06:00 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 1983 380SL, ivory/dk brown, 44k miles, dual roller timing chain. 1986 560SL, red/white, 184K mile.
I have another gizmo for Toyota and Lexus vehicles called Techstream. It can do things like accept new keys, set how the mirror and windows work, etc along with the OBD2 Engine management. Techstream though requires a Windows based OS. I purchased a Winbook Tablet running Windoze 10 on Ebay for $40.00. Techstream interface runs around $20 and the software is downloadable.

That is interesting that the iPhone can work with the ELM327. My son has the iPhone - think I'll get him the interface. How much is the DashCommand app?

Carl

"You have chosen to drive a MERCEDES-BENZ, a car in whose construction and production we have taken great pains because we believe that quality is not a matter of chance." -- page 3, Owners Manual 380SL
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 06:30 PM
BenzWorld Member

Garage
Quote:
I have another gizmo for Toyota and Lexus vehicles called Techstream. It can do things like accept new keys, set how the mirror and windows work, etc along with the OBD2 Engine management. Techstream though requires a Windows based OS. I purchased a Winbook Tablet running Windoze 10 on Ebay for $40.00. Techstream interface runs around $20 and the software is downloadable.

That is interesting that the iPhone can work with the ELM327. My son has the iPhone - think I'll get him the interface. How much is the DashCommand app?
I think the DashCommand software was $12. The Elm327 has to be compatible with the IPhone
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	2144762  
cwmoser likes this.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 03:43 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Is the difference with the ELM327's that the iPhone requires WiFi and Android requires Bluetooth?

Carl

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 03:53 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzi View Post
Coil packs aren't much newer than our 107s. I am intimidated by the price tag though. $50 for a single coil, or $40 per cylinder. You won by $10 this time, but I decided to pass on a v12 1996 600sl r129 because it had at least three cylinders not firing right. My reading showed me you might spend $80/cylinder because there's more than just the coil pack to replace in that car's case. That's where more common cheaper parts like Honda (or generic brand) parts are nice. It's nice to drive down the street and pick up an alternator in stock at autozone for under $100. That doesn't happen with old cars. You may have been able to pick up a coil pack locally and had the job "done" if in a rush.
is the SL600 still available.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 04:21 AM
BenzWorld Member

Garage
Quote:
Is the difference with the ELM327's that the iPhone requires WiFi and Android requires Bluetooth?
Not sure if that is the only difference. I bought the ELM module about 3-4 years ago and the WIFI version was the only one available for the IPhone at that time.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 07:08 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 1986 560 SL
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
One resource for OBD2 I like if you have an Android-based Smartphone is to purchase a Bluetooth enabled ELM327 interface (Ebay or Amazon < $10.00) that plugs into your OBD2 connector. I run the App called Torque on my Smartphone to read the codes, clear codes, and monitor sensors like Fuel Trims.
Thanks for the tip Carl. I didn't know these exist. Just ordered one.
cwmoser likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R/C107 SL/SLC Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in