Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Joined the club r107 with 72 350sl

8K views 40 replies 16 participants last post by  w124202 
#1 ·
I finally joined the 107 club.. bought it from the daughter of the original owner who recently passed away. Single owner before me and only has 74k miles. Only fault I can think/find is the missing map pockets. Other than that everything else is in really good condition and original (except for the radio). It has all the books and manuals with service stamps and all. It drives so well and smooth. As smooth as my r129. Just a lovely car.. Now I need to decide whether I keep the r129 or this one...this one is originally for the wife but she doesn't enjoy driving it as much as she thought she would.. so we shall see. Pics are not the greatest but i'll take some better ones later on.

See less See more
#3 ·
Thats quite a find. Nice car.
I think I would sell the R129.

#7 · (Edited)
Another 1972 350SL 4.5L ! Great example and low mileage. Clearly hasn't been driven that much. My 72 hasn't been driven much yet has twice that mileage!

Keep it for sunny days and put the miles on the 129!

If it is running that great, that's a big plus. So many of the new Djet owners that post here have engine tuning problems that initially need addressing.

#12 ·
Thanks for the kind words gents. As far as I know the car hasn't been restored and just well kept. I need to look at the VIN actually.. i thought I would find the Vin on the pink slip but it was issued in 1977 and doesn't seem to have the VIN printed on it. It was the first time seeing the "pink slip" in pink :). I wonder why the previous owner removed the map pockets. I'll be tough to source a pair in this color. I also need to fix the headrests.. they are all loosey goosey and feels like whatever bolt holding it is no longer there. Just little things. I'll update you gents again with Vin info once I get a chance to look at it.

#14 ·
Looks like a really nice specimen. Love those color-matching center hubs on the wheels. Wish that had been available on my '89. Congrats and enjoy!

#16 ·
VIN should be easy. Three locations.
1. Stamped into the upper radiator support. Most important one.
2. Embossed in the Federal Certification plate riveted to the driver door jamb. The plate will also have the month/year of build in the upper left corner.
3. Plate riveted to the driver A pillar visible through the windshield about half way up.

#20 ·
Took the car down to LA from SJ past weekend and the car didn't miss a beat. Took it to my trusty Merc shop in LA and went over the car. Everything checked out and no issues. A couple of calipers are new and the fuel pump is new as well. Plugs are clean and new so didn't change them out. Changed the oil, blow out the air filter since it's still new and change the fan and accessory belts just for the sake of it. Head rests were tightened and all is good now. Only thing I noticed during my trip was a slight exhaust leak (towards the rear) which is not a big deal. Also noticed coolant drip on my feet while driving once in a while. Not crazy lot but enough to notice and be annoyed. It wasn't hot either (was driving on the freeway). My quick search show it could be show heater core. Before I dive in and change it out, anything else I should check? Hoses going in and out of the core? Also any quick disconnect before I can take it back down to my Merc shop? Other than that, it was all smooth sailing at 80 with AC on... lovely trip.

#22 ·
How rowdie.. that's what puzzling me.. the water looks sort of coolant-ish since it left a yellowish stain. But could still be the condensation after flowing over 40+years of dirt and dust. It wasn't hot or anything when it fell on my feet. It was actually a bit on the cool side. I'm gonna try and look for threads on drain cleaning. So it'll be the drain for the cooling coil?

#25 ·
I saw the CL add for your car. A I'min the bay area, I was going to take a look at it as it looked really nice. But didn;t have the extra coin laying around so would have just been wasting the seller's time. I'm glad that turned out to be as nice as it looked. I really like the blue and I think the white interior is a good combo with it. My '72 is SN 1467 so we're both early production. I've always like the chrome shift gate in the really early cars.

#28 ·
I wasn't planning on buying one haha.. and I even let it sit and not check it out for a week or so hoping someone will buy it before me. But I guess some things and people are meant for each other and there is no avoiding that. But boy am I glad I picked it up. It's just perfect in every way and I'm falling in love with it each day. Yours is more senior than mine and hope we can all meet up one of these days.

#31 · (Edited)
I was waiting for the wife today and thought I'll go over the owner's manual pouch and found some cool stuff. So the car is pretty much confirmed single owner since delivery since all the documents from 72 are under previous owner's name.

Here's the warranty booklet:

Here's the pre-delivery inspection sheet from 72:

Here's the California pollution compliance certificate from 72:

Here are the various radio manual, service shops and warranty card:

Here's the booklet for dealer locations from 71:

Maint. booket:

and the latest dealer service stamp from 2000:

and the first service stamp:

I am just thrilled about this car everyday and finding little things like this just makes me all happy and giddy.. thought i would share. Let me know if you guys need any particular page from the manuals :).

#32 ·
Super Cool

That is super cool - mine has the same booklets with those early 70s stamps. I think unlike many other cars, the 107s tended to have really long-term owners. I think I've bought a few from either the children who inherit it or the owner who is now too old to drive.

As I mentioned, I was really tempted to call on your car. It looked very nice and was an early SN car - which is what i prefer. But the price was reasonable - which meant I would be tempted to put in an offer! That happened a few times... put in an offer and they take it!

As for having a mini-meet, I'd be happy to host at our shop in Belmont. At least I can pick up the donuts!

#33 ·
Did you find the metal identification plate (like a GM POP plate) in your warranty booklet? Also see if a build sheet is located underneath the plastic cup of the jack stand mount in your trunk.

I like the radio upgrade on your car - I did the same to my car; keeping the Europa II in storage. I had Becker Autosound in NJ add an aux line as many here have done.

#34 ·
Cool. I'll check it out. Thanks for the tip. As for the radio, the previous did the upgrade and didn't keep the original one so bummer on that.

Also I can't find the wrench for undoing the side latches for the hardtop. I can't seem to find it online either. Does any of you gents know where I can source one or where in the car they usually keep it? I've only looked at the took kit and glove box so far.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.