Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

New Member - 79 450SL - No AC or Heat, Need Mechanic in Central MA?

776 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Digmenow 
#1 ·
Hi Folks,
I've always admired the 70's R107's and bought one last year. The car runs great but the one big issue is the Climate control doesn't work at al, No AC and No Heat! I'm looking for a mechanic in central MA, I'm near Worcester, who has experience with these older cars and systems? I already took it to one "Foreign Motors" mechanic who was little help and charged me a couple hundred bucks with no results :frown
Any Leads would be helpful, thanks!

Bob

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
No AC could be any one of a number of things. However no heat suggests the hot water pipes to the heater box have been plugged- probably to stop heat in summer. I'm not sure what version of climate control you have but most are default hot if the water valve /monovalve is faulty. This is the valve in the engine bay controlling hot water flow to the heater box. Obviously if you want cold air the heat has to be off. Depending on which valve you have it can be an easy and inexpensive fix.

#6 ·
I'll kick in on the UT digital system. I used the services of a family member who is an auto technician by trade. It took him less than 2 hours to install it with me standing around chasing tools for him. I could have done it but it would have taken much longer. There was shakedown period of a day or so making sure that some vacuum connections were secure but it has worked well since then. The only issue that I have had is that sometimes under acceleration, the drop in vacuum causes the AC to drop out briefly and when it comes back on, it has switched to full heat mode. There's a fix for it in a thread somewhere around here but I just turn it off and back on and the AC is restored.

The Chrysler designed and sourced ACCII is very expensive to replace and will likely fail again within a few years. If authenticity is not an issue, upgrade now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.