Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

15" MB alloy rim help needed

1K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Fonzi 
#1 ·
Not sure if the R107 ever came with 15" alloy MB rims, but hope the wealth of knowledge on this forum can help. Picked up a 79 300CD yesterday for parts. Found that it had 4 of the 15" alloys. Problem is on the alloys they have a keyed cover, over the lug bolts Pic #1. Does anyone know if all of the 15" alloys are keyed the same?? Does anyone have a key that I could borrow?? Rims are in poor shape, from setting outside for years, but I do not want to make them worse. I could try to weld up a key, or just weld something to the head to remove the lock bolt, but thought I would check here before getting that drastic. The spare is a 14" bundt

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
15" MB alloy rim help needed

If I were you (with your skills), I'd jump directly to fabricating a key. I can see that not all centra wheels use that key pattern. https://www.ebay.com/itm/282398636215
That one looks more square.

I made a key for a set of OZ wheels and had another set of wheels that came with a key (on a parts car). I thought I was smart keeping a factory key and sending my home-made key off with the set of wheels I sold. The key I made worked much better than the factory one. Grrr. :)

I would guess the "key" is to come up with something in that pentagon shape. Maybe some small pipe or a rod with the center drilled out, then make it a pentagon shape on the grinding wheel.

The first one I ever made was a metal fuel line ground into the shape needed. I can't really grasp the size you need to work with.

#9 ·
Just spent 2 hours pulling all old/wet carpets out of interior, and cleaning trunk. No key, looks like at one point someone tried scoring/removing one of the locks. Pic

Member on W123 forum pointed me towards a set of Torx security sockets, looks like one of those sockets will work. Ordered set this morning, and will post results.

Attachments

#12 ·
Success!! New set of Torx Security socket set, largest socket worked at removing keyed covers (with a little help from a large hammer) Socket fit vary tight and needed to be "tapped" on to bolt head, had to use vice, and punch to separate the bolt from socket. Now that I have removed rims, bought new set of tires, tires cost more than the whole car!

Now on to next question, Took rims to local powder coat place, they thought rims might be magnesium, which does not take powder coat vary good. Quoted cost of $75 dollars/rim.

Now thinking of stripping and painting myself, but unsure of how to "strip" the chrome spots remaining on rims. Any advice??? Chemical or just grind off?? New territory for me.

Do like the look. Thinking of Silver/Chrome on rim, body color on center cap, keep the MB star gold.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.