Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1988 560SL

2K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  ErikBerglund 
#1 ·
Took the plunge on Friday. Went, looked, bought and drove it home. Special shout out to donfenn for the lead, help and advice before and leading up to the purchase. Was thousands of miles from him and only hundreds from me. Have been learning a lot and have no regrets on my purchase. 1988 560 SL with 110k on the clock.

Still have some things to address, but all I can say is wow, what a machine. :thumbsup:

Fits in the carport nicely with its "cousin". :wink

Attachments

See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
A classy 560SL!! Looks to be in great cosmetic condition. :smile My 88 560SL is black with palomino interior. 88K miles. A few mechanical repairs but in nice cosmetic condition. A great driving experience every time I take her out for a run! :grin

Reactions: dknight928
#10 ·
It's in better shape than I was expecting. Still has a few small "warts", but only minor stuff at this point. Smooth, quiet, tight and a nice, low exhaust growl. Drove it all weekend!

That is my favorite color combination, love it!
:thumbsup:

Wow.. it looks even better than I originally thought! I feel a bit like a successful matchmaker---and, hopefully the honeymoon lasts! Drive safely and enjoy.
You did your job, and then some! Honeymoon should last quite a while.

Beautiful! Looks like a fine example. Can see why you have no buyer's remorse.
Thanks! Have a few things to do, but all in due time.

Looks like a nice car - congrats. The cousin is not shabby either.
Thanks! I overheard them this morning telling each other lies (in German) about HP and Torque this morning... :grin

And yes, I found the multi-quote feature...:wink

#17 ·
Car looks great!

Look at it this way, that nasty pollen that gets on the car will do the same on black as it will any colour. Just a matter of how much it bugs you with any colour.

We'll look forward to the posts as you go though and fix any little details. Might I suggest though, that checking the timing chain/guides be high up on your list.

#18 ·
Thanks. During Spring, my two cars will change color to "Pollen-Schwarz-Grun"; a little known factory special order color.

Yes, chain and guides are up there. Sadly, no service history with the car, so I know I'm "rolling the bones" every day. My spidey sense concurred with my budget on this one, so I'm hoping the two get along until I get that tended to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.