Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Dual Action buffer ... need tips on how to use ...

976 views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  peter.k 
#1 ·
I have a Dual Action Buffer that I would like to use on my two SLs ... but I am reluctant because I really do not know the dos and don'ts along with what pads and products to use. There are a lot of products out there for the OCD types - I am not a purist, just want a nice shiny finish.

So, what are some precautions and what products do you use?

#2 ·
#4 ·
I think you would enjoy it better if a cute little honey wearing a bikini were getting "some hands on training" ... than an old fart like me :smile

#6 ·
Timely thread given one I started a few days ago about treating fine scratches. Keep us posted on what you both end up doing and lessons learned.

Curious as to the DA buffer you are using, which compounds, and of course ale, lager or IPA?

I will likely order the porter cable da buffer, hex pads and compound sample set from chemical guys unless other DA, compound beer combos work better.

#7 ·
I use the porter cable DA polisher with great success. About speed 4 with this kit. It is good stuff, and color coded for the three steps from swirl/scratch removal, to sealant. About a six pack job on a cloudy day. I use it on the 107 with single stage paint, and the 129 with clear coat equally impressive.

Nifty Interior: Home

I bought it on amazon, but see it in not available there now. The above price is about right though.

#9 ·
Order placed at Amazon for the PC DA unit, chemical guys pads and compound sample set and Jetseal. I will test the system out a bit first on a door on my daughters 2004 Explorer that was egged which has deep damage and spotting. Will graduate next to the hard top and will finish with the 107.

I have a few injuries to the paint inflicted by a scotch brite pad, so even if this does nothing for the other cracks, the money on the equipment will be less that the cost of detailing those spots, which is fine with me. I'm
Sure hitting my 2011 and 2014 cars with polishing compound after a clay bar won't hurt them much either.

I'm not looking to do this often but it it really improves the look of my cars, I'm all in.

More to come once I get some time to try this out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.