I think i made a boo boo pertronix sl 107, 450 1972 flamethrower 1885 and ignitor - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Feb 2015
Vehicle: 107 SL 450 1972/1973
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I think i made a boo boo pertronix sl 107, 450 1972 flamethrower 1885 and ignitor

Dear forum members as the title suggest after careful examination it looks like i cocked up my insall of pertronix. Although i got the car started and i got spark, something tells me i have created a ticking time bomb or maybe this would explain the erratic idling which i blamed Djet for.
Anyways here is what i did
I converted my mb switch gear points and coil to pertronix ignitor with flamethrower 1885
Looks like i connected red+red/black+Ignitor red wire to VE+ of coil.
RED/VIOLET cable has been left off and is connected to the ballast
COIL VE(-) is connected to Ignitor -.

What on earth have i done and how come it still sort of works?

Don't lough too hard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170320_153224.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	2119546   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170320_153217.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	2119554  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 05:07 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2013
Vehicle: 1973 450 SLC / 1974 450 SL / 2001 ML55
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Fu#$, the inside of my car(s) ain't that clean.

May I ask what brought you to the point of putting in the pertronix, other than the obvious. (points suck)
Was the car running bad when you started? I'll trade photos & stuff but, if it is not running any better than you just found out it was not the points.
I do sometimes have a reading comprehension problem so I may be reading this wrong, but D-Jet is the whole fuel,air spark system.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troglodyte View Post

May I ask what brought you to the point of putting in the pertronix, other than the obvious. (points suck)
Was the car running bad when you started? I'll trade photos & stuff but, if it is not running any better than you just found out it was not the points.
I do sometimes have a reading comprehension problem so I may be reading this wrong, but D-Jet is the whole fuel,air spark system.

HAHA

Well to be fair at the time it was luck of knowledge. I had given the car to mechanic who took the engine out so that we could respray the insides(hence its so clean He put it back together, but the monkey did not take any pictures or reference it. Spent days working on it couldn't do anything with and just gave up asking me to pick the car up as he did not know how to get it started.
Well me being me decided to take it in to my own hands. I couldn't understand how original ignition was wires so just decided to bypass it with pertrnoix and i am glad i did.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
After doing some reasearch i am getting closer to what i have done.

I connected ignition wire red/ black with starter motor wire( red/ violet) it works and i know know that its got nothing to with erratic running of the car djet is still suspect criminal.
The longer wire i am not sure about?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:

Just a thought any changce you could take couple of pics of your 1973 slc showing us what colour wire goes where. Also there is a 3 point terminal block just next to DJET MPS which i think may have been miswired, i could use a picutres of that where i can see the colours of the wires connect. That would be great help thanks
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 08:03 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2013
Vehicle: 1973 450 SLC / 1974 450 SL / 2001 ML55
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
I went up to the ranch but forgot the camera, but it's an easy set up. In your first photo I do not see the electrical connections (the plug) on your MPS in place. That would make it run like crap, it will run if the other settings are strong but it will not run well at all. and will not be drivable.

The way I hooked up my 1885 and coil is as follows: The black wire from the pickup is on the "-" post of the coil along with the tach, but tach is not important now.

I have the red wire hooked onto one side of that big white resistor by the coil along with that thick black wire I see you have straight to the coil. "What your third wire is I don't know" Then with a short jumper I went to the other side of the white resistor to the "+" side of the coil. (why I don't remember, that was 2 1/2 years and 30K miles ago so it works for me)
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
I went up to the ranch but forgot the camera, but it's an easy set up. In your first photo I do not see the electrical connections (the plug) on your MPS in place. That would make it run like crap, it will run if the other settings are strong but it will not run well at all. and will not be drivable.

The way I hooked up my 1885 and coil is as follows: The black wire from the pickup is on the "-" post of the coil along with the tach, but tach is not important now.

I have the red wire hooked onto one side of that big white resistor by the coil along with that thick black wire I see you have straight to the coil. "What your third wire is I don't know" Then with a short jumper I went to the other side of the white resistor to the "+" side of the coil. (why I don't remember, that was 2 1/2 years and 30K miles ago so it works for me)
Hello mate thanks for reply.
Djet is disconnected now as i am megasquirting my SL. Now that i understand my djet it could have been 100 of reasons why it did not run right, but i just decided to get rid of it.
I am hoping that some one can share there 1973 merc pics or draw a diagram with colour coding of wires. The sl wiring diagram i have does not mention the thick black wires. It mentions the black and red which goes to resistor from there red and violet go to starter motor. all the rest is illuminated apart from tach which i have connected.
Maybe MBgraham would know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R/C107 SL/SLC Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.