Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Suggestion for the administrators

1K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  nobby 
#1 ·
One of the things I find I am looking for quite often is a good source for Euro version cars. More often than not my searches come up void. I will find this or that tidbit about an Euro car.
I use the EPC and my disc which only covers USA, J and AUS. I'm suggesting in both the 126 and 107 forums that, since there is such a variation on the cars themselves, a thread or forum for "Euro only" be established. Or am I missing something? Probably.

GW

#4 ·
It has previously been suggested that a separate forum be created for diesels among the sedans such as the 210, 124, 126 et.al. The problem is that further separation of the chassis results in less cross communication. There's more in common despite the differences. Multiple forums for essentially the same model ends up detracting from the shared information experience.

A windy way of saying that it becomes too compartmentalized.

#6 ·
The Euro and North American models share many parts. They also have many of the same problems. A separate form would not be beneficial.
This is no doubt true.

It could be useful, I suppose, if someone with an interest in all 107 based models could put together a summary of the differences between the Euro, ROW and NA models as well as links to Euro specific links. And this could be in the Stickies.

Rowdie, I was wondering about that 1975 450SL with no emissions equipment that you suggested "may" be a Euro model. Tried to find specs for the Euro 1975 450SL without luck. I recall that it has higher HP than the NA model. EPC without a VIN doesn't help. So where would someone find details of the Retard/Advance system installed on a Euro 450SL?

#9 · (Edited)
I believe that the 450sl, is 107044 for both euro and NA versions. However, as Rowdie said, there is a way to chose Euro or NA. But without full VIN, not sure how EPC would know which model year a user was searching for? I had another look to check the euro version's emission controls vs NA. Confirms that some items are not on Euro version.

#11 ·
Funny this topic popped up - I have been studying 2 unused terminals on our rotary light switch (NS and 57). NS is for Nebelschlussleuchte (rear fog light) and terminal 57 is for side marker lights (DIN 72 552) which MB solved using an alternate method.

I would like to see a wiring diagram or ETM from a non North American 107. I've found answers in a Polish website covering the 116 which is very similar.

By the way, the reason for the bulb in in the selector knob on our rotary light switch is to remind the operator that his rear fog light is on. In Germany, the rear fog light can only be used when visibility is 50 meters or less (not enforced for city driving). A traffic penalty of between 20 to 35 euros is possible. The indicator is supposed to be yellow or amber for the rear fog light . . . if it is green, the function is allegedly different and it is an indicator for the front fog lights. The indicator is inoperative in North American cars because the circuit is open; no load at terminal NS. NS is powered at position 'B' of the rotary light switch which is 2 clicks aft.

I like the idea of an area on our forum where topics like this could be found. No idea how to administer it best.

#14 ·
First choice is 107044 450SL:450SL USA (presumably meaning standard 450Sl and US spec 450SL). Second item is Market and it is Euro/USA/Japan. After you chose one of those, it just displays 107044, not your choice. But when you go to the parts diagrams, they are not all the same.

Not at all user friendly and it's only guys like Rowdie that have it figured out :)

Without full VIN, it still will not always direct you to the correct parts. Sometime engine number would make a diference, but if you know that, then you probably also know the VIN ;) EPC is really built for dealers who would know the car's VIN.

#19 ·
If every EURO related thread started with...

EURO: What Kinda Oil For an M110?

Then the search would be easy.

But we have trouble getting people to fill out their profile....so good luck with this idea.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.