Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Identify this vacuum line/hose?

838 views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Walt Williams 
#1 ·
So I've got my other thread going regarding my Fuel Distributor, and while under the hood contemplating setting the whole car on fire, I noticed this hose sitting by itself. I've attached a picture of a similar 560sl with a yellow circle pointing to where I found this vacuum line sitting.. It was not connected to anything an was intentionally placed where it was by someone.. So I believe someone at the shop took it out and put it there and forgot it....

Is is possible to figure out where it came from?? Could it be causing my rough idle??

It measures 6 inches stretched out, but I found in curved like this.. thanks for your help guys!!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I believe that goes from the Warm Up Regulator to the Air Slide Valve pipe - see red circle on the photo. I'm sure that if it's missing it will have some effect on idle, but I also wonder if it was removed because of some problem with the WUR that made it even worse...

Note - this is only my 450SL BEFORE restoration; I took photos to make sure I knew where everything went back. Also note that the WUR is mounted vertically on the '76 450SL, on your car I believe it is in the same place, but rotated through 90' Second photo is blurry, but shows where the ends attach.

-Steve

Attachments

#10 · (Edited)
?? A piece of vacuum line sitting up on the cowling. ?? On my 83 I have 2 dampers mounted to my fuel distributor with vacuum 'looking' lines connecting them. If it were my guess I would say its one of those lines.

I think your best bet is to sit down with the vacuum diagram that's in the online manual and chase each and every vacuum line to insure its going where its supposed to go. I did this on my 83 380SL. I found several items that were not hooked up correctly. THEY ARE NOW. And it will give you the piece in mind knowing its all connected correctly. I ordered like 3 meters of new lines and used it all replacing my plastic vacuum line as mine lines was breaking up while I was chasing them.

Additional info:
Something else I did on my car to the rubber vacuum connectors was to use small black pull-ties as hose clamps. All of my rubber connectors were still in decent condition with some only making a token connection. The pull-ties shored these up connections.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.