Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Throttle Valve Switch Adjustment

3K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  pdolan1953 
#1 ·
I've had help diagnosing my high idle problem and the bad part is the throttle valve switch. I have printed the instructions from the manual but I'm not understanding how to adjust the switch once its on the throttle valve. Per 07.3-152 it says to 2. check idle speed stop by pushing throttle valve to idle speed stop. 3. Keep turning throttle valve switch to 0 ohms is indicated. 4. Lift throttle valve slightly, readout to infinity ohms and insert 0.3 mm gauge. I guess I need some pictures or a better explanation. I'm not getting it. Thanks in advance for any help.

#6 ·
Ok, my intake manifold was off the car when I did my adjusting. If yours is on the car it may be tough trying to move the switch. Here's what I did. Set my ohmmeter to measure 0-infinity ohms. I used alligator clips to attach the probes to jacks 1 and 2 on the switch plug. With the throttle valve all the way against the speed stop I moved the switch till I got a reading of 0. Then I lifted the idle valve a bit and inserted a .3mm feeler at the idle speed stop and got a read out of infinity. It took a few tries of moving the switch just right to get these readings. Then to check for full load stop you connect to jacks 2 and 3 and push throttle valve against full load stop and you should get a readout of 0 ohms. Then moving the throttle valve slightly in direction if idle speed should give you infinity again. I hope this helps.

#9 ·
OK I'm back. My 450sl is a 74 so it's switch is different than 7.3-152 but that led me to 7.4-140 mine. It's too cold outside today to do the engine running part but I did take it off and gently popped the plastic cover off. Everything looked good, It has contacts that make and break connection as the throttle goes from idle to w/o. I slid a piece of paper between the contacts to clean and put it back on. I'll see how it runs when the roads get less icy. thanks again!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.