Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

DMS 4.7

2K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  107merc 
#1 ·
I just got home to find the March issue of Hemmings Sports & Exotic Car on my desk. There is a 6 page article on Neil DeAtley's DMS 4.7, a very short term tuner experiment on R107. The article makes lots of reference to 380 SLs which were the impetus to bring performance back to the SL line - actual work was done on 2 cars, one of which was a '75 model.

Body and interior work was very '80s but they managed to mate a KE system M117 to a Getrag 5 speed. Article gave some specifics on suspension upgrades as well. Neil DeAtley is still alive . . . kept one of two DMS 4.7s for his personal collection. His car is the subject of the Hemmings article and covered on this site:

The DMS 4.7

I did a search and did not see this project covered on our forum. If I am wrong, apologies.

#3 ·
The article I read said the engine work alone was $15K. I think a one of two project done by a race shop might have a higher price point. I think the main interest here is what was done to mate the M117 to a Getrag. I thought only AMG had done this.

#8 ·
Isthisdave makes an impressive pull from the archives - I agree that the body work was not appealing. It seems the drive line would be desirable in any 107 as a sort of sleeper effort. I was also wondering about the suspension work minus the fender flares and large wheels that made it necessary.

I'm really interested in where the interface between M117 and Getrag was produced. Also interested in the carpeting that was discussed.

All that said, I'm a D-Jet guy who rides on steelies with hubcaps.

#10 ·
A long read but pretty much everything you need to know about manual tranny's on the M117/119.
I read that thread a few years back. The OP faded out somewhat and I thought it was dead. The effort is still ongoing. I am interested in this but would probably not pursue it even if a kit did exist. I have a '67 Camaro with Powerglide, numerous kits available to make a standard - have not done it on that car either. I just like studying these topics.

#12 ·
I had a picture of this car along with 3 other AMG 107's hanging in the
garage as inspiration when we were redoing our 280. Friend called Friday
and said to stop by, he had a surprise to show us. He had located the car
in Florida, and bought it. Sorry about the picture quality we only had my
Grandson's smart phone to take photo's. The pics don't even come close
to what this car is like, drop dead gorgeous!!! His only complaint so far is
the seats are uncomfortable but he has a pair of used Recaro's he'll have
re-upholstered to match. He also plans to replace the existing 4 barrel carb,
with a Vehicle Car Hood Grille Automotive lighting
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Car Vehicle
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle Automotive side marker light
Tire Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle Car
Automotive parking light Cloud Wheel Sky Tire
Carter or Edelbrock and then drive the wheels off it.

#16 ·
Fantastic! Old posts but when a person decides to build something that they love I will always applaud that. That is called ingenuity. Some call it "American" but it is not exclusive. I for one embrace different and acknowledge that differences give me a greater degree of appreciation for the original.