Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

A 560 SL is going back home

1K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  DK107 
#1 ·
Hello!
First of all I would like to introduce myself. My name is Dirk and I live in Germany. I really like this forum and I learned a lot from you guys. Thank you.
So here is my story.
About three years ago I decided for myself that the time has come to get a toy for big boys. It is time for a SL. The pagode does not go with my budget. So there was the next and the 2nd next generation of the SL left. At the beginning I was more into the R129. I traveled all across Germany to check out some cars. But after a while I listened to my heart, my wife and my kids and changed my focus to the more classic R107. The searching began again. Not all the time but once in a while. Mainly on the www. But since we like to go to Florida for vacation I forced my family to stop at every dealer who had a SL on his yard. This might be the reason why I prefer the US look with the big bumpers and the double headlights. I looked at too many of them.
So a few weeks ago I spent some time on the weekend to look for SL's on the German and US onlinemarket.
By accident I found an interesting add. "560sl, cln carfax, 140500 original miles, 2nd owner." No pics with Beverly Hills adress. I send an email and got an answer right away. So a nice conservation started. I asked for pictures and the owner ( a lady at her best age) sent them to me right away. This went on for quite a few days. Due to different times zones often with a long delay. But the lady was patient with me and always gave her best to answer all those questions I had. Plus I got more pics made with an iPhone in a fairly poor quality. I do know that it is quite a risk to buy a 30 years old car which you have not seen in real. But somehow l have a good feeling and what convinced me the most is the fact that she really took care of the car, since she owns it (2008). She kept all the records and emaild them to me. Every 6 months she went to "her mechanic" to get an oilchange. She spent more than 20K during the past years to get the car running.
So I signed the contract and put down a deposit. She agreed to keep it til March. Due to German tax and duty regulations I want to import it after March. In April the car turns 30 years old. So it is classified as antique and I do not have to pay duty for it and also a reduced importtax.
Nevertheless I am so exited that I decided to fly to LA for a long weekend end of January. My wife will join me and wipe off my tears if it was a huge mistake and the car is a piece of junk...h
I will keep you updated.

Dirk

PS: is there anybody here on this forum who might want to sell a set of original rims (this car comes with 8hole wheels) and a rear jump seat ( color code 275) so all my kids can go with me...

See less See more
#3 ·
+1 on all the sentiments

you will find that german law prevents you from putting your kids in the back if they are older than 14. except in an emergency. and only for the shortest distance and time. The seats are not homolgated for adult use.
If it doesn't have rear lap belts already fitted, you will need to source some. if your kids are young enough to look forward to many years of rear seat passengering, I would recommend fitting a static 3-point kit. I did, as it it is far safer than just lap belts. given the complexity of fitting a full rear seat kit, it's the easiest job of the lot. Securon do suitable kits, and you can even get them colour coded as well. the fit the two existing lower points fine, you just have to site and fit the top hole. If you decide to do this, i will send you photos of my set-p if you like. Totally diy by me, passed the vehicle inspection no probelms in the UK ( did ask my mechanic for advice before fitting though, I'm not stupid)
there are lots of aftermarket kits available. They vary in quality. the 560 should have come with the sculpted rear seats as standard, as did the euro 500. Other models varied, and what you will see most of are the flat seat base/bench variety. These are not as comfortable, and aren't the 'correct' version for your car.
good luck with the purchase

Reactions: DK107
#5 ·
damn

they short-changed you chaps in NA. my euro 500 came as standard with the sculpted rear seat option. I can confirm it would have to be an emergency to get me in the back again. definitely for the kids or officially petite.:laugh

#7 ·
I think my kids are still small enough. When I go to work I drop them off at their school. It is just a 10 minutes drive. For longer trips I will not use it.
As far as I know the SL is officially sanctioned as a 4 seater, since you could order it that way from the factory here in Germany. I think they don not make a difference between the US and the European Version. Of course you need also the seatbelts.

#9 ·
I got the same feeling when reading your initial post as when I was looking to buy the Red Fox over a year ago. The Red Fox has rapidly evolved into a very reliable car. I bought her on eBay from someone 300 miles north of me in Salt Lake City. One of my criteria is the car had to be within easy retrieval range. Even though the eBay ad was only about 1/3 accurate I still think I lucked out in getting a solid car. I was actually going to let the car pass as I normally would not have bought a red car. But I kept getting this thought pop in my head: "This is the one". I'm glad I was paying attention. Since then the Signal Red color has grown on me.

Speaking of solid. Even though your buying a car in So. Cali. it doesn't mean that the car originated there. It could have taken to L.A. years back from some where else. My car originated in North Carolina -- bought by a freshly graduated medical student as she was starting to practice medicine. If it is a Cali car, a previous owner could have driven the car to Utah during the winter on several occasions, during or just after a snow storm. I have seen our asphalt paved Interstate highway absolutely white with dried salt -- it resembles concrete. Be sure to check your new SL's undercarriage and under the fenders for any corrosion once you get her back home.

A few of us have varying levels of experience repairing these 107s so don't be bashful about asking questions. Welcome to the cult.

#19 ·
Walt is absolutely right. It might not be a 100% California car. Unfortunately the carfax does not go back until the first day of the car. And you never know about trips to snow areas. So cross your fingers I will not find any significant rust.
By the way:
I got the datasheet from this car. It says code 494 "Kalifornien Ausführung". Which means more or less Californian version. Does anyone knows what this means? I could imagine a version for warm/hot climate.

#16 ·
defective memory. mine of course

I went and looked up m vehicle's original documents. Quite clearly in the accessories and extras price list for the passenger cars ( ooh, the prices quoted make me wince, 32 years later), is a rear child seat for the 500SL as being an extra cost option. My apologies. :banghead:

What it did come with as standard, which were cost options on all other models, were cruise control and headlamp wash and wipe.

#20 ·
Kalifornien Ausfuhrung

will most likely mean the engine is suitably-strangled emissions-wise to meet California specs. and have big bumpers. and knee pads. and a third brake light. I does not mean it comes complete with a blow-up Richard Gere dummy.:devil

Reactions: DK107
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.