Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

GTG 2017 Solar Eqlipse

7K views 92 replies 18 participants last post by  isthisdave 
#1 · (Edited)
GTG 2017 Solar Eqlipse SE

On August 21st. (Monday) we'll have a total solar Eqlipse moving across the continental US.
One of the best places in the SE to experience it is in South Carolina. Anybody interested in a GTG? Looks like the center of the path will be about 30 min north of Charleston, SC.

Update:
I reserved picnic shelter #2 at Santee State Park in SC for Monday the 21st.
Max. number of Attendees is 75 (that should be enough LOL).
http://southcarolinaparks.com/santee/brochures.aspx
If you are planing on attending, please send me a PM so I can keep a tally
Each attendee will be responsible for their overnight accomodation plans.
I am planing on being there at 9am on Monday (21st.).
My wife and I are thinking about hanging out in Charleston over the weekend.
As time get's closer, we'll work out the details.

Attendees:

Nobby
Mrelbe
Jaybutter
RLT61 +1

See less See more
#2 ·
I feel bad about posting to the thread you started but... What a coincidence!

I live about 25 miles north of the best viewing location in the country, near Carbondale, Illinois. Around 50,000 people or more are expected to be in the area for the eclipse. It's going to be a really big deal here.

At our place, there should be, IIRC, over 2 minutes of total eclipse time, down several seconds from the peak viewing area.

I have been planning for some time to have a little get together at our place for that weekend and Monday afternoon. I've invited members of our local MBCA section, another club we belong to, and several family and friends.

Except for mentioning it here a couple of years ago when I first found out about the eclipse, I had not yet gotten around to posting the invitation. There should be ample room, including for those wishing to stay a few nights if they're willing to rough it. We also definitely have ample parking.

Hell, being on a Monday, I don't know how many people would be able to attend, but there should be room for anyone wishing to.

#3 ·
Well...hmmm....what a dilemma!

I'll be at Chads' GTG in Pennsylvania on the 19th....no reason why I can't continue down to SC for the Monday!

OK....pencil me in. AND Mrelbe.

Al..as much as I'd like to see you again......sorry.......next time. :)

#4 ·
South Carolina has the benefit of being the latest time in the day. That way you get the most time enjoying the company while you prepare and anticipate the event. I'd hate to show up late and miss it.

This site seems to have good info.
https://www.greatamericaneclipse.com/best-places-to-view/

#6 ·
At this point I am leaning towards having the GTG at Santee State Park. It is dead center in the path of the eclipse and close to where I-26 and I-95 intersection. It is about a 90 min drive from Charleston.
Park Maps & Brochures
Day pass or camping?

If camping...we'll need to reserve WAY in advance.....

#8 ·
Having kept up with this for some time, I do have a couple of suggestions for you on the east coast.

HURRY... Available facilities might already be booked.
Get your viewing glasses, 14 shade welder goggles, or the cardboard ones from online for cheap if you look around.

And Chris, I love you too... :grin

#11 · (Edited)
I reserved picnic shelter #2 at Santee State Park in SC for Monday 21st. of August 2017
http://southcarolinaparks.com/santee/brochures.aspx

The fee to reserve the shelter was negligible.

#14 ·
Hi RLT61 and everyone else!

My name is Jay and I live in Savannah, GA. I love the idea of this dual purpose GTG and I plan to be there. An eclipse is really cool and I haven't seen one for a very long time. I have never been to a R107 GTG. I am thinking that one way this event could be promoted is to send an invitation to all "R107 for sale" craigslist advertisers in South Carolina, Georgia and North Carolina starting about a month or two before the event. We could ask that seller pass on the invitation to the buyer if they get a sale. It could be done for eBay listings as well. What do you think?

#15 ·
On August 21st. (Monday) we'll have a total solar Eqlipse moving across the continental US.
One of the best places in the SE to experience it is in South Carolina. Anybody interested in a GTG? Looks like the center of the path will be about 30 min north of Charleston, SC.

Update:
I reserved picnic shelter #2 at Santee State Park in SC for Monday the 21st.
Park Maps & Brochures
For some reason it will not let me edit this post so I am going to bump this and I am starting to keep an attendee list.
If you are planning on attending and have to stay overnight it is time to start looking for places to stay.

Attendees
Nobby
Mrelbe
Jaybutter
RLT61 +1

#25 ·
Pondering on this.
Sounds like fun.
3.5hr drive for me.
Cons: Tires on "Angel" 12 years old, wifey don't
like drinking but don't bother me.
Pros: Be great meeting R107 folks, witness the Eclipse.

#27 · (Edited)
Thanks @nobby for bumping this thread.

A couple of weeks ago I found myself in the Charleston, SC area and decided to stop by the park and check it out. Looks like it is well kept and has a camping area, a place to rent canoes /kayaks (recommended to rent prior to arrival since there are not too many available), a small store to buy essentials etc. etc. Fishing is allowed but requires a fishing pass that can be purchased at the store.
The shelter I rented is close to all amenities and has a grill - still working on the lunch menu-LOL.

The park is easy to find and is about 10 min off of I95. It is also the exit for the town of Santee; gas stations, hotels, places to eat, grocery store etc. are all close by including a public golf course.
There is plenty of parking close to the shelter for our priced machines.
As is common for state parks in SC. no alcohol is allowed. I ended up talking to one of the park rangers and was told as long as there is no open drunkenness, the beverage is in a cup and the bottles or cans are out of sight there is normally not a problem.
Here are a few pics.

Attachments

#38 ·
I'm bumping this to see if I can generate some more interest.

Myself and MrElbe will be coming down from Toronto....check the map...it's quite a distance.

We love meeting new people especially when they show up at GTGs driving a Benz.

So check your calendars and daytimers and sign up.

It will be fun....and you can put a few miles on your precious cars. :)

#33 ·
Nashville, Tenn., will also be in the path of totality -- for just under 2 minutes. The largest city that's totally in the path.

I read on that site that this will be the first total eclipse viewable in the continental United States in THIRTY-EIGHT YEARS; the next one will be in seven years. But yeah, really rare event, and worth making an effort to see. I remember a partial one in NYC: weird effect of seeing little crescent moon shapes cast by tree leaf shadows.

https://www.greatamericaneclipse.com/best-places-to-view/

#34 · (Edited)
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.