Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

SRS warning light

4K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  donfenn 
#1 ·
Supplemental Restraint System warning light goes on after car has been running for about 30 secs. Reliable repair shop indicates needs a new sending unit, cost just under $1000.00 Vehicle is an89 560SL,50,000 miles. Would like to just ignore it but everything else on the car works. Mild case of OCD says fix it. Any advice on a less expensive solution?

#4 ·
Before replacing it I would want to see a scan report indicating that the control module is defective. I can't speak for Mercedes exclusively but generally the control modules only require replacement after a deployment. Corroded connections are more common. With the battery disconnected you could go around checking each connector, front sensors and module connection would be a good place to start.

#12 ·
So, now that the "no scanner " myth is busted, back to your issue. check all the sensor connections for corrosion then try a reset. It may go off with out a reset if you find the fault. ICAR may have information on your SRS system as well. It is wise to fix it though, it may save your life one day.
Good luck.

#16 ·
Most of the time it is the contact rings, but I have learned (the hard way) that there are also defective modules. As I understand it, rudimentary blink sequence scan code is easiest to read with 88-89, while 86-87 models requires rigging a code reader to connections in trunk near battery..

I had this issue on my 1989 560sl car when I first got it, and my mechanic ran blink scan code which showed a defective module... Remarkably, I subsequently found some repair receipts in wedged in the battery compartment in trunk from the servicing MB dealer which had advisory that SRS light was on, and error code showed defective unit, with an estimate 1800 to replace and repair--- and a notation that the owner "declined the repair" years before I bought the car.. Yes, I got screwed on that one, and they never disclosed..

However, my mechanic had a parts source for used unit, with guarantee that it would work (with exchange warranty).. It worked and the problem was fixed for about 900 including parts and labor.

You can ignore it and disconnect, but I prefer the idea of a working SRS system and airbag in my car...

#18 ·
You can ignore it and disconnect, but I prefer the idea of a working SRS system and airbag in my car...
Unfortunately Don there is only one sure way of confirming it works and I can safely say that nobody here wants to do that test. The airbag itself is now going on 30 years old...whether it deploys is anyone's guess. It's the weak link in the whole system. I do think you have done all you can to correct the problem but it's still a crap shoot.

#17 ·
Ebay?

very quick search: MERCEDES SL 420 AIRBAG MODULE SENSOR 560 W107 SL 560sl 107 SRS SEL 0038207310 | eBay

Obviously you should use the part number. Most likely the module is shared with other models and it the unit comes from a junk yard car there should be no reason why it should not work, but yes there is a risk that you spend your money and find that either the model is also defective or the issue is elsewhere.

Texas is not picky, but in most countries having non-working safety systems is not allowed (although you can have a car without SRS which is just fine).

#20 ·
Takata has killed enough people for me to dislike the idea of anything exploding in my face upon having an accident.

When I was little I recall not always wearing a seatbelt, in which case an airbag certainly would be helpful (I think).

But I prefer to just wear a seat belt and hope my neck doesn't snap if I get into an accident. I wonder if airbags would have been invented if everyone wore seatbelts in the first place.

Remember those cars that had the seatbelt automatically run along the doors to get put on automatically?

#21 ·
Another very good point.... It makes you wonder..

However, I was in an ugly accident with airbag deployment, and I know that my face would have been smashed into my steering wheel if the airbag was not there---although my arm got burned by the accelerant too..

While a bit off topic, this conversation about covering up or disconnecting the warning light reminds me of my former wife's 1991 Chrysler minivan. It had a warning light which was always on... After repeated trips to the dealer it finally appeared to be repaired... Then months later, I was driving the van and the angle of the sunlight though the window exposed a piece of black tape under the dashboard glass covering up the warning light. I made it into a huge issue with Chrysler, who had a factory tech rep finally repair the issue... (I also got thee month's free lease payments, and the service manager at dealership was fired...)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.