Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

OT-New Project Car

2K views 28 replies 18 participants last post by  Fonzi 
#1 ·
Before I go over to the Vintage Forum to post, I hope you don't mind my sharing the new project.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I love your latest acquisition Droidster,the 108 and 109 series top my list of drool worthy MB sedans. My mother had a 280SE 3-5 back in the 1970's and to this day I can still smell the luxury of the leather and timber interior. BTW I have only ever seen one black 108/109 car in Australia and thought it looked special @ tailor made for some bigshot in the business world. Best of luck with your project Droidster.

:wink

#5 ·
The long and short of it is I always wanted this particular model. By chance yesterday after speaking again about wanting to find this car one day, I found it online.

I spoke with the Seller who actually turned out to be someone I have worked with in the past.

It's a '72 with 3 owners. One of them being the mechanic who was garaging the car. I'm waiting on more service records, but I'm glad I got another M117 as at least I have a better understanding on how they work.

Car runs like a champ, but I'm sure I'll find things as I dig into it.

#6 ·
I worked with a fellow who drove a '72, but it was an SEL, IIRCC. I liked it a lot. His had an air suspension, which was problematic, and rust issues. He sent it for restoration to a friend with a body shop, on a work-on-when-you-have -time basis. Last I heard, it was still there after 8 years!!

#7 ·
Looks Great. And as you say, same engine as your 450Sl. Great for swapping parts when troubleshooting.

I always ogle the late W126s which I suppose are more akin to the 560Sl, but a California W108/9 with no rust - even better (for Djet enthusiasts)!

Why is it a 'Project' car? Looks pretty good as it is!

#16 ·
I like the floor shift option. I've got essentially the same car, but with a column shift and a sunroof. Yours is in WAY better shape with what sounds like some good records. Mine was just too cheap to pass up and mostly rot free. I wish mine looked like yours. This is one car that I think is a little cooler with the original steering wheel, but that Nardi looks nice.

If yours has leather in good shape, that's a real score too.

Congrats!

#18 ·
Congrats! Love the color combo. Wish you the best with the project.

These are great automobiles. My first Mercedes-Benz was a '72 280SEL 4.5. It was a beautiful car which I wish I still owned. It began a 37 year love affair of the marque and have only owned MBs since. So, the 108 holds a special place for me.

Cheers,

#21 ·
Thanks everyone!

Was actually a rainy day here in LA, but I started a topic with initial questions over in the Vintage Forum.

She's definitely stolen my heart and I look forward to working on her. Truth be told, I expect she'll need less work than Morgana but we'll see!

#25 ·
#26 ·
RC is here for the evening and we've looked at tons of pics online. Question, has anyone used these before? There's a HUGE difference in price from Genuine Mercedes. Makes me a little wary in the price difference but would appreciate any feedback.

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pr... Seals & Gaskets&gid=5504@Valve Stem Seal Set

How much are genuine MB?

I bought a set that didn't come with those installation sleeves. I think those are apparently supposed to be pretty helpful.

The job of replacing the guide seals is not a small job. So YOU don't want to skimp on rubber parts that we all seem to believe are best when MB original.

I bought an $8 set of seals that I have around somewhere and also have not yet installed. I will try to find what I bought.

#27 ·

Used to get Elring gaskets and seals as reboxed by Beck-Arnley and WorldParts waaaaaaaaaay back in the day when import parts were like the stepchildren of the parts biz.

More recently sent quite a bit of their stuff to Oz for Fotographa when he was hawking parts.

Can't recall any problems or complaints during either stint...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.