Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

New to the r107 legend

1K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Walt Williams 
#1 ·
Hello folks,

Just wanted to say hi. I have been reading many of the threads and posts and decided to finally say hi.
just got my 1987 560sl in signal red and tan top about a month ago and I love it. Not only this is my first roadster/convertible, this is my first Mercedes/ German car...

too bad winter is coming soon to Michigan....:(

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks. Well, I know it's sacrilegious, but I intend to use my car during the winter time with the hard top and 4 sets of winter tires...
This is my daily driver. (My other vehicle that will go for a little hibernation is a Harley Softail...

#4 ·
In that case get a professional undercarriage treatment to protect from the road salts. These cars will be eaten by rust if not properly cared for. Be diligent in cleaning thoroughly during the winter, also under the car.

Living in a country with road salt in the winter, it's almost impossible to find a local car that is not rust eaten. That's why 90 % of the R107's for sale are US imports over here...

#8 ·
Well, those crazy Mercedes engineers meant it to be used

on snow. Why else put an LSD on it, AND offer a ski-rack accessory in the parts catalogue.:wink

I've just had mine re-shod with Michelin Cross-climate tyres. So i should be able to tackle the weather in the UK at least. and I have a pair of snow socks as well, just in case.

#9 ·
Welcome to R107 ownership. Looks like a nice car. I have mine now for about 9 month and love driving it. Be careful in the winter time on snowy roads. Used to live in Indianapolis and had a 5.0 mustang with an LSD. Made for some interesting driving.

#11 ·
Welcome to the cult. I say that because owning and driving a Mercedes is addictive. Once you own one you won't want to be without one.

I'm like you in that I intend to drive the Red Fox through out the winter, with the exception I will drive my old Chevrolet pickup on snowy days. Here in sw Utah that hasn't happened yet. We're still getting thunder storms.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.