Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

spring compressor for 1987 sl front LCA springs

2K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  Kevin Kemper 
#1 ·
Please advise if anyone has a spring compressor specific to the 1987sl R107; the upper control arm is out, going to forge ahead and replace LCA bushings, thanks to all.

Richard, Arlington, Texas

#2 ·
If the 107 has separate springs/shocks, and has a hole directly under the spring in the lower control arm, it means you can use the sandwhich type spring compressors. They are available for ~100$ on eBay. I've used on my W202, it is an extremely safe tool, much safer than strut compressors. I changed all my springs, I love using it. The genuine tool is by Klann and costs 700$, but the cheap one is just as good for the DIYer.

#8 ·
R107 spring compressor 1987sl

The LCA opening under the spring is approx. 3 cm (1 1/4") the sandwich plate would need to cover 12 cm. Interested in how these measurements compare to the W202 spring compressor. One poster recommended a 3/4" thread bolt for a DYI spring compressor.

#9 ·
The LCA opening under the spring is approx. 3 cm (1 1/4") the sandwich plate would need to cover 12 cm. Interested in how these measurements compare to the W202 spring compressor. One poster recommended a 3/4" thread bolt for a DYI spring compressor.
I played around with this a few years ago with mixed results. Borrowed rockcrusher's Klann type compressor and tried using just the discs with a 3/4" threaded rod from Home Depot. Inserted the discs and went in from the bottom with the threaded rod. Double-nutted the top of the rod. Started off OK but then noticed some damage to the threads of the rod. Stopped there and never went any further with the project. If I were to do it again I would use a 3/4" rod with ACME threads like those on a vise.

Attachments

#12 ·
Here is how I put my front suspension back together. This one is a SLC, but there is no difference among 107 cars with respect to the suspension. While I had my subframe off the car, this method would work just fine with the subframe in place, using a shorter threaded rod and some of the square plates that Home Depot sells in the framing dept.

https://slc4dirt.wordpress.com/about/teardown/front-suspension/

#15 ·
Well, speaking from experience, a spring compressor isn't really needed.

I simply used a floor jack and removed the eccentric blots on the LCA and lowered. With the shock disconnected the spring is almost at full travel...very little resistance.

I've done it 3 times this way and nobody lost an eye.

#16 ·
Nobby is right, a spring compressor is not needed to remove the springs, if a floor jack is used to take the load while you remove the LCAs and disconnect ball joints. Then you can simply allow the springs to relax and drop out.

I used the threaded rod as a compressor upon re-assembly only

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.