Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

heavy metal thunk, right front side, what could it be?

614 views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  PanzerPuff 
#1 ·
Hi, folks! Been a while, I've adventured around in Krautzie with the top down, tooling along the Hudson River and the Palisades. Glorious driving.

But....

Ever since I got my lower ball joints replaced in the front, both sides, I hear a "clunk" sound in the right front.

The mechanic wrote in red ink, 'Check driver side upper blade' (? what is that?).

The adventure continues.... Need a new thermostat also (the one in front of the air cleaner). Engine still running too warm.

Enjoy the Leeeeaves!

#2 · (Edited)
I had a steering related 'thunk' on the driver side 88 560SL develop recently. Not a heavy metal thunk. Just occurred when turning the wheel and road bumps. Replacing tie rod cured it.

Just a thought...

#3 ·
Ball joints clunk like that. He mentioned your driver's side upper 'blade' which he means control arm where the ball joint rests (you have lowers, too). When I replaced mine I found the price for a new arm better that the price of a new ball joint plus labor to replace, especially since it had new bushings already installed. Do both if you choose to replace.

#4 ·
560 upper control arm is a little different than previous 107 versions....the ball joint is NOT replaceable and the whole arm must be replaced...which last I heard...might still be unobtainable.

I don't have a 560SL so I don't really care?:):)....but I'm sure someone, somewhere must have found a fix for this.

#5 ·
I remembered the blade reference: he said he'd keep a lookout for the windshield wiper blade for the driver's side (I was sold 2 right-hand blades via Ebay; grrr).

But yeah, the muffled clunk on the right-hand side is a bit worrying. New development. Mechanic keeps saying "it's an old car!" and yeah, it is. 29 years old, you're gonna have Issues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.