Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Fuel tank strainer removal method....might save the day!

6K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  EdKellock 
#1 ·
Hit the wall trying to get the fuel tank strainer out for all the same reasons as others have posted here....read and re-read many of the threads that dealt with the issue and didn't come across this solution so thought I'd share it. Apologies in advance should others have already made the discovery and I missed it in the threads somehow.

After trying in vain to back that 46mm nut out of the bottom of the tank, and yes, it was off-center, and yes, nothing would fit over it (why MB did not make that hole just a little larger is beyond me), and no, screwing the fuel exit hose back in and trying to somehow coax it out with that did not work. But, working along that premise we first applied some Loctite threadlocker, blue stuff and waited a couple hours which resulted in the first observable movement of the thing, albeit miniscule. To our disappointment, it did not hold and the exit hose just backed out.....another failed attempt.

At that point, we decided to go get some Loctite Threadlocker RED, apply and let sit overnight (about 17 hours). The next morning, using an open end wrench, beginning by moving it gently back and forth and only in very small increments, it gradually started moving more easily and for greater distances before breaking loose altogether and unscrewing. This averted the distinct possibility that we were going to need to remove the tank in order to get the thing out.

Hope this helps someone else get "unstuck" as it can be a major pain.....

Footnote: I think going with the RED was the ticket, although we first attempted with the RED after only a couple of hours and it DID NOT HOLD.....so, waiting for it to completely cure seems to be a necessary part of the process.

See less See more
#2 ·
I have not had to fiddle with my Fuel Tank -- so I am not all that clear
how you used that Red Locktite. Did per chance you make a photo?
Thanks

#8 ·
Thanks! And yes, that is exactly what we did.

Very clever! The only potential problem I see is that if you want to try to reuse the strainer, you'll likely ruin it heating it enough to release the red threadlocker....maybe not in practice, but in theory. Maybe someone could experiment with that.

For the record, it's not that tough to remove the tank and while its out grind open the access port enough to get a socket on it for next time.

I appreciate the innovation in solving problems exhibited on this (and other) MB forums....and sharing them with the community.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thanks also and you are right as well.....I had the new parts on hand so wasn't concerned about re-using the strainer. Further, had we taken the tank out, that is the first thing we would have done, enlarge the access port - good point!

#4 ·
Very clever! The only potential problem I see is that if you want to try to reuse the strainer, you'll likely ruin it heating it enough to release the red threadlocker....maybe not in practice, but in theory. Maybe someone could experiment with that.

For the record, it's not that tough to remove the tank and while its out grind open the access port enough to get a socket on it for next time.

I appreciate the innovation in solving problems exhibited on this (and other) MB forums....and sharing them with the community.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

#5 ·
Fortunately both could be bought new for ballpark $50. Another approach would be to carefully chisel off the brass colored collar...metal is very soft. A short hand-held hacksaw blade would be another option. Remove the old hose and replace using a clamp rated for fuel injection. That's how I did mine.

#6 · (Edited)
Using Loctite red was a great idea!

I have used it a lot in marine applications. For best performance need to make sure the thread surfaces are really clean and dry. Cure time at least 24hrs. To take apart needs to be heated to 250C

Can't recall if that hose end has a straight or a tapered pipe thread? If straight, and if Loctite doesn't work, perhaps a lock nut could be put on first to lock pipe into strainer?

Never had to change my strainer, so no practical knowledge. My hose attached to a hose barb (or maybe original hard pipe) that screws into the strainer.

#14 · (Edited)
A 42mm socket will fit the strainer. Try to find a socket that isn't chamfered to the inside of the socket. You may have to modify the socket with a grinder. The object is to get the points in the socket to grip the points on the strainer.

Addition: 42mm is the size for an 83

I got lucky and the strainer come out when I went to remove the hose that screws into it.

#18 ·
I am embroiled in this on my 73. I have researched the issue a lot and finally reached the screw extractor stage (found in another thread) which I escalated to using an impact gun/wrench powered by my air compressor.

It won't budge.

I try it every couple of days and soak it with wd40 (Walmart version) to try again another day.

I'm sure there's a better option than wd40 (Walmart or the real thing) but I'm also considering using heat. I have a heat gun and the tank is drained, although I do get some dribbling of gas when I am using the impact wrench.

I'm also starting to consider removing the tank. I bought the socket but haven't wanted to try to open up the access hole so it fits.

I miss driving and enjoying it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.