Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Tire Size for my 107

11K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  burgesr 
#1 ·
I have a 1982 380 SL. When I needed new tires about 12 years ago, the 14" rims were looking bad, so I upfitted to 15" rims from some aftermarket company. So for the past 12 years, I have been running 215 60 R15 tires. Just bought some new tires, Michelin A/S, 205 65 R15 from Costco. When I went to have them installed, they refused to put them on as they were not "approved." Obviously I can pay someone else to mount the tires, but I have already paid Costco, and I like their warranty policy. I do not know what list Costco is working off of, but is there an authoritative document somewhere that I can point Costco to that would confirm it's okay to run this Plus 1 upgrade?
Rick

#8 ·
I have recently bought two new sets of tires for my SL & W123. No 14" tires with better that T speed rating available in our market for either. Shop said something about that but agreed that there was no alternative so I bought T-rated Toyo tires (205/70R14 and 195/70R14). Maximum allowed speed in Ontario is 100km/hr (62mph). Why would we need an H rated 130mph tire ;)

We only have to have a safety done here when we sell a car. Or sometimes when changing insurance companies. Correctness of tires is something they will check. The safety check procedures have been tightened up, but don't know yet what they will do about non-available tires for classic cars.

#12 ·
Thanks to all of you who provided me with ammunition, especially to Television for the fitment chart that indicated approval by Mercedes (or their tuner surrogate). Armed with all of this information, I was able to convince Costco to put the tires on my car.
Just in time to put it away for the winter, but I am looking forward to some better handling performance next spring!
Rick

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.