Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Instructions for removing fuel tank?

14K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Anovak 
#1 ·
I have looked really hard at the online service manual for how to remove the fuel tank but can't seem to find where those instructions might be. Anybody know? Sure would appreciate it. My car is a 1981 280SL and I believe the process is the same for all 107s in that year, so I looked under the 380SL and could not find them.

#5 ·
Thanks for the confirmation.....I went through every conceivable section in that manual and could not find it. Turns out, some creativity avoided the necessity of removing the tank and I have posted that in a new thread as I thought others might benefit....

#6 ·
Knowing that Benz moves in mysterious ways, you won't be surprised to find out
that the gas tank removal is covered in Sec. 47 of the M110 engine manual.
It's probably covered in the V8 engine manuals also. Found out the hard way
that the tank cannot be removed unless the strainer is removed first. just
not enough room to raise the tank with it installed.

#8 · (Edited)
Removing the fuel tank is not hard. I did it on my 83 when I rebuilt my fuel system to clean and de-rust the inside of my tank. .

1) First remove the main fuel hose that feed the fuel pump and drain the tank. Using jack stands, I did this by jacking up the car high enough to get a 5 gallon bucket under to car prior to removing the main fuel hose.
2) You have to remove the forward cover inside the trunk with a 10mm socket. Peel back the carpet just enough to get at the bolt heads. No need to peel the carpet all the way off.
3) There is 4 bolts that hold the tank in place.
4) There are hoses under the car that needs to be removed.
5) There is a vapor chamber at the top of the tank. The bolts for this vapor chamber on my 83 were in the convertible top boot area.
6) Remove the gas cap
7) Wiggle the tank out of place and remove from the trunk.

Disclaimer: There might be other things that will prevent the removal that I missed in the list above, so be prepared. Never force anything.

#11 ·
Not any more, Walt, but for a while there I was thinking it may have to come out just to get the strainer out to install the new one I sourced......now after the "Loctite Red Method," that will no longer be necessary as I have the old strainer out and new one in. By the way, the old strainer had nothing, NOTHING on it that was visible to the naked eye. It had slight discoloration of a rust hue, but very slight at that. Still glad I pulled it and have the new one in place.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.