Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

SL roadsters are purty, but the SLC is not ...

2K views 22 replies 17 participants last post by  Ianwright40 
#1 ·
I can't find an ugly view on an SL roadster - it just looks good from any angle,
including soft top down, soft top up, or with hard top on.

But the SLC variant has two views that I think are
either odd or just plain ugly:
- the view from the side
- the view of the rear window

Anyone here actually thinks the SLC is better looking than the SL roadster?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I like the looks of the SLC but I only if they have the European headlights and the little rubber spoiler on the deck lid. There is one sitting in front of a furniture store the next town over where I live. It has (had) a for sale sign on it. It is a sad sight. The car has been sitting there in the hot Georgia sun for years and is just falling into disrepair. I stopped by once and talked to the owner about buying it but she still wanted $3500. We were about $3000 apart.

#4 ·
In some combinations and with the right wheels some SLC's just look tight and sporty. Same with the SL. The right combination can be a thing of beauty but others just look bloated and lazy. I am not a fan of the SL with the hard top and in some cases that extra chrome strip around the base just looks 'gappy' and not a full part of the car. The SLC above in that color doesn't do it for me. I have never driven an SLC or even sat in one, to be truthful, if my SL was a coupe I would not be happy with the space and sitting position. It works okay for lazy days driving with the top down but without the top down option I would not have an SL.

#5 ·
But the SLC variant has two views that I think are
either odd or just plain ugly
You are a snob, Carl.

And, btw, go look in a mirror and then ask your wife that same question.

:)

#7 ·
You are a snob, Carl.

And, btw, go look in a mirror and then ask your wife that same question.

:)

I am not purty.
I am not purty.
I am not purty.
I am not purty.
I am not purty.
I am not purty.
I am not purty.
I am not purty.
I am not purty.
I am not purty.
I am not purty.
I am not purty.
I am not purty.
I am not purty.
I am not purty.
I am not purty.
I am not purty.
I am not purty.
I am not purty.
I am not purty.
I am not purty.
I am not purty.
I am not purty.
I am not purty.
I am not purty.
I am not purty.
I am not purty.
I am not purty.
I am not purty and neither is an SLC or nobby :wink

Reactions: SSL and jsebastian
#9 ·
I get more compliments on the SLC than the SL.. I also like the way it handles and sounds, PURRRRRRRRR...:) I mean RRROOOAARRRRR, it now has a two inch to flow master exhaust...... $265 total installed at a local shop.....

:D

Rock

Attachments

#12 ·
I remember long ago a 70s C3 Corvette which had been stretched and given 4 doors. I was fascinated by it but repulsed as well. Some things just should not be stretched as the beauty is lost. I agree with Carl; there are some quirky views of the thing. Oddly enough, I love Rock Crusher's maroon one with the matching color wheel covers; the wheel covers seem to smooth and round out the styling, making it look more together.

my .02

John

#13 ·
For me, a car has to have presence. The R107 certainly does but the C107 has more of it. Partly, I think because you don't see them often. That is why I decided to find myself a really nice one in classic silver/navy. The louvered rear windows are a design feature that makes a statement to me. I know, it isn't for everyone but it is for me.

Attachments

#14 ·
Perhaps I'm an oddball but I have always preferred the look of the R107 to its predecessor and certainly prefer the way it drives. The C107 to me, is a fine looking car, although I agree that without the convertible option its appeal is somewhat limited. What has always surprised me is the fact that Mercedes produced all these cars in monocolor yet most of them have complementary soft top colours. When I had my 280SL repainted shortly after buying it, I had the hardtop painted in a metallic version of the soft top color - result, compliments from many people who had previously said nothing. I believe that a C107 would also benefit from becoming a two tone. This makes the hardtop a feature instead of just a roof.

#16 ·
I wasn't aware of that and have only ever seen a handful of them with contrasting hardtops. I wonder if MB wanted the proverbial arm and leg for the two tone? I haven't actually driven with the hardtop in 10 years but it's nice to think that when/if I do, the car is as eye catching as with the top down.

#18 ·
Not mine but I am quite fond of this contrasting color:

Attachments

#19 ·
I don't think the R107 looks that great with the soft top up. With hard top it is fine and when on, seems like I have another car.

I wouldn't want to own an SLC with non-functional A/C. Bad enough driving the R on hot rainy days!

#21 ·
I don't think the R107 looks that great with the soft top up. With hard top it is fine and when on, seems like I have another car.
I'm just the opposite...I prefer the look when the soft top is up over the hard top. Who's right? We both are. Who's wrong? Neither one of us. As far as SLC's are concerned I never liked the louvers. That makes me right and also those who disagree with me.

#22 ·
Thanks for the photos Fonzi, the car looks elegant, just as one would expect. If the roof was the same color- pale blue metallic - as your upholstery - it would look even better (my opinion only). My own 280SL is gold and the roof is saddle brown metallic. Unfortunately the only photos I have of it are not digital so I can't post them and the roof hasn't been on for 10 years or so anyway. I know purists believe that a car should remain as pristine as when it came from the factory but mine has custom two tone upholstery, chrome wheels and a nice pinstripe, all of which, I believe, accentuate its visual impact. I guess each of us will dress their car as they see fit and as long as it is tasteful, well, to each his own I suppose.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.