Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

storage suggestions

2K views 32 replies 15 participants last post by  Rhinoww 
#1 ·
It's getting to that unwelcome time of year when those of us not in the sunbelt have to think about putting our toys away for the winter months. In the past I've changed the oil and filter, filled up the gas tank together with the requisite amount of fuel stabiliser and put the convertible top up to allow it to stretch and then rolled her up onto squares of Styrofoam under each tire. About every 6 weeks I charge the battery for a few hours and this seems to work well in that come spring the old girl starts up on the first attempt. My problem is what happens to the interior of the car while in storage. Several of the fabric and leather surfaces attract a slight blue mold which has to be brushed off in the spring. It doesn't seem to do any permanent damage but who knows what could happen over the long term? Of course, living here on the we(s)t coast with our damp winter climate is obviously a contributing factor to the problem, however if anyone knows of a simple fix I'd be very happy to learn what it might be. My garage is not climate controlled and my daily driver is parked right alongside so the door is opened from time to time. I have tried leaving the driver's side window open, put a cover over the car some years and not in others but all to no effect. I imagine some kind of heat inside the car would stop the mold from forming but am unaware of any heaters that would do the trick without providing too much warmth.
Does anyone else have a similar problem?

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I also put the 560SL away in an unheated garage for winter. It gets cold here, so moisure/mold have not been much of and issue. Mice, on the other hand....I use Bounce dryer sheets....they hate it.

For moisture I suggest that you use a product called DampRid. It comes in a multi-part container for use, and will take moisture and humidity out. It has a two-piece container with a dry substance on top, and water will collect at the bottom. They are not expensive, and they do collect the moisture! You can get them at Bed-Bath-Beyond and at Walmart. I would put two in the car.

#4 ·
Thanks Alkraut, I'll try it One in the back and another in the front should do the trick. Regarding mice, I was not aware of Bounce being a good deterrent and when I had a mouse problem a few years back I bought a plug in ultrasound device with enough range to cover the whole garage with positive results so far. I have them in the house too and they seem to work well without bothering the dog.

#5 ·
FreshAir- I keep my car in an unheated garage in Seattle. Not as prone to the salt that Nanaimo has in the air.

I use the DampRid product in an enclosed car with the top up.

I learned about the mold growth therapy with a few long stored cars. It is much worse in PnP cars. The mold is fed by the detritus from our back sides built up on the leather/Tex. The damp makes it a great buffet for mold. The way I deal with this is to use a 10% solution of Peroxide in a water spray bottle. Direct application, let it sit for a few minutes then scrub with a terry towel or micro fibre cloth. It may take a few applications to kill the fungus living in the leather.

After cleaning it that way, let it dry a few days and apply Lexol or other quality leather cleaner, then finish with a good conditioner. Keep an eye on the seat over the winter and if the mold returns, use the peroxide solution. It would be good to do the whole interior, as there is bound to be more living on carpet and other surfaces. Best to sterilize it.

#6 ·
Redghost, that's pretty interesting stuff and well worth trying. The mold only started appearing about three years ago and until now I had no idea as to why. Although there I some on the seats it is mainly on the fabric of the rear parcel shelf though some is also on the steering wheel, the console and the door panels.
As to the salt in Nanaimo's air I think you may be in error as the mountain chain running down the centre of Vancouver Island puts us, on the east coast, in a rain shadow so we miss a lot of the weather than comes in off the Pacific. We still get lots of rain and fog in the winter months but nowhere near as much as the lower mainland (greater Vancouver). Thanks again

#7 ·
I was thinking of the storms in the Straits of Georgia whipping up spray in the air. Like what is hitting us this weekend. It carries, but you are correct in that it would be pushed toward the mainland instead of blowing to the west.

#8 ·
Snow 1/3 down the mountains, with big storm heading this way from the West Coast. Took insurance off of the SL:crying

Will rest for next 6 months. Have enough wild cats around that mice are no problem. Park with soft top up, but not tightened to top of windshield. Try to start, and drive into town at least once every couple of months, if roads are dry. Park it with a full tank non-ethanol premium. So far has always started right up.:smile

Attachments

#9 ·
Snow 1/3 down the mountains, with big storm heading this way from the West Coast. Took insurance off of the SL:crying
You might consider a year round policy that costs maybe a few dollars more than annually cancelling and renewing insurance. You need comprehensive, fire and theft on it even when it is not driven. A nice hefty tree figured out my insurance lapsed and thus squashed my Infiniti Q45. I would have been paid 25 times the annual premium if it was properly insured.:read:

#11 ·
Just as you guys are putting the cars away I am looking at using mine more. This last two weeks we have been in the upper 70's low 80's and even on the coldest days the heater in the 450sl is more than enough. I am also able to be more certain of dry days. We recently moved away from Tampa Bay and that makes the climate more predictable. One thing we do have problems with this time of year... Drivers from the north.... :) Floridiots have their own driving rules, you would be amazed at the number of out-of-state drivers we see involved in accidents.

We recently had the seats re-stuffed, the timing chain was replaced a wheel bearing switched out and new front struts. This winter I am looking to get some miles on the clock, maybe get over to Daytona and down to Old Town in Orlando. As much as I feel your pain, I for one am happy it's fall.

#17 ·
Replacing struts is why we have spring compressors. Medium easy job but take care as those springs pack lots of energy.

This reminds me of another reason not to ever do business with NTB. They tried to sell my daughter four new struts on her Chevy Malibu, as she was leaving the next day for California. I called an reminded NTB the Malibu only had two struts in the front, and conventional shocks in the rear. He had the gall to say he would extend her the NTB special rate of four struts for the price of three. To corroborate this story, a honest fellow at Firestone later told me he quit working for NTB as they have no integrity, the bait and switch was something they were told to do by corporate.

#25 ·
Have you looked into the goldenrod? It's a low-wattage heater/dryer used in safes to protect your valuables from condensation.
I would like to hear from somebody who uses the goldenrod or something like it. Does it work as claimed in an automobile?

Golden Rod 18" inch Dehumidifier
Protects Gun Safe Boat RV from Humidity Mold
Dries up to 200 Cubic Ft.
Imagine you just finished putting all your valuables into your safe. You finally feel secure knowing your most precious assets are protected from theft. You let your safe sit for a couple months and finally have a need to open it. When you open it you are surprised to find mold and mildew eating away at your guns and other precious valuables. You've just become a victim of the damaging effects of humidity.

Safes provide the perfect environment for mold as they are dark, musty, and often times humid. To prevent this constant air circulation or moisture absorption is necessary. Our friends over at Golden Rod have come up with the perfect solution to eliminate the musty smells and dampness inside your safe.

The dehumidifying rod works off of a rather simple technique. The rod heats up to a surface temperature of 125 degrees F and circulates warm air throughout the enclosure. This causes the warm air to rise, and the cool air to drop creating the constant air circulation. It dries out any moist air in the safe and keeps your valuables protected for years and years to come.

Installation is extremely easy as you can simply place it horizontally on the bottom of your safe or closet. For maximum results, mount it on the side wall 6-8 inches from the floor. Mounting brackets and screws are included in the package.

#26 ·
Hi blooz,
Until now I'd never even heard of goldenrod. I imagine it's battery operated as a sealed safe would not allow for any wires from the exterior. I wonder how often it would need a recharge? Do you happen to know where they are sold? I would guess somewhere like Staples.

#28 ·
Well, Pearson you obviously have a lot more money than most of us. It seems that if I can actually stay away from the shop(s) as much as possible it has a solid and positive bearing on my finances. I rely on my baby car to assist in this endeavour and find that if I treat her right she returns the favor - mostly!

#29 ·
Not for storage, just parking:

When I was young and owned an MG, if I couldn't find parking near where I worked, I would drop car off at nearby tune-up shop and get them to do a basic tune. They had a special rate that was only about 4x what the parking lots charged. They would laugh at me when I came in again and again :devil Mind you those SU carbs need constant attention!:eclipsee_steering:

#30 ·
Ah yes the lovable, frustrating MG. I remember well the 1938 MG TB - looked great, sounded better and generally referred to as a tart trap! Despite all its good points and other shortcomings I loved it dearly, but never went anywhere without a screwdriver, an adjustable wrench and a set of point gappers. I also got quite good at setting up the carbs - had to really, couldn't afford to keep paying someone else. Looking back perhaps the most exciting thing about the car was wondering if it would start after being parked for an evening out and explaining to the girlfriend when it didn't. It still remains the only car I sold for more than I paid for it.

#31 ·
Geez, the weather must be pretty tough over there in North America. My two favoured SL's (500SL and 450SL) get pampered by being parked in converted 3m by 4m garden sheds. I felt sorry for no 3 (380SL) and roped a tarp between half a dozen trees in my driveway so she's happy. I'll post some photos tomorrow as its just gone dark here in sunny Queensland. :wink

#32 ·
The weather isn't that bad really in what is known as the Pacific Northwest but in late fall and through winter and early spring we do get quite a bit of rain and occasional snow. April to mid October is mainly top down time with a month before and after when one can drive around with the top up, but being a lazy b*****d myself and never putting the car away wet, I hate having to shammy it off, so in the more inclement or wet weather I just don't drive it. Strangely enough, southern Vancouver Island is actually categorised as arid in the summer months. You folks in various sunbelts have it all ways being able to drive around topless all year round but at least our summer is rarely so hot that we need the top up and the a/c on.

#33 ·
Storage???

It's gonna be 80 here later this week. Top down (easily) in November in Cincinnati.

But then on Friday I'm having a Construction Reuse store come with a truck with a lift gate to pick up the lumber, sheet good, rolling lumber carts, sawhorses etc that are filling a garage. I did the simple math on renting a storage locker and it quickly became apparent that I needed to give away enough to fit the car in the garage. The stuff I'm giving away is barely worth less than the cost of a storage locker, after I sold the valuable stuff. Space will still be close (I am leaving one vertical lumber rack intact as it is filled with hard to find wide walnut,maple and cherry) but I think it will fit. will know for sure on Saturday.

I have a buddy whose company makes all sorts of car battery chargers. he stopped by the other day with a new trickle charger for my 107, so I should be good to go on charge when the winter is over. When I talked to my mechanic about using stabil over the winter, he said just use high quality gas. It should last the three to five months. I'll still likely put some in the tank and drive it a bit just to be sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.