Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Latest Project - Billet Hinges

1K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  nobby 
#1 ·
I'm in the process of completing the conversion of a bench top mill to CNC and am in the early stages of learning CAD. The mill is cutting chips but still needs limit switches, one shot oiler, mist coolant system and enclosure.

Learning always goes quicker when working on a "real" project, so I've selected to create some billet aluminum hinges for the diesel SL (Obviously I'm not a purist, so a little bling is acceptable) I've been able to use an image of the hinges as a basis for maintaining proper geometry and dimensioning prior to adding design elements. I've already cut some hinges out of 1/8" aluminum but they feel just a bit too flimsy. The next ones will use 1/4" 6061 T6.

I thought I'd share with the group the current status of the project with a rendering of the billet hinge compared to stock.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Obviously the weight savings would virtually unmeasurable...billet hinges are a staple of the rod and custom scene and I've always liked the look. In looking for a project to learn Fusion 360 CAD/CAM software and work out the fixturing, feeds and speeds, and other aspects of running/testing a CNC mill, I thought some hinges would be a relatively simple yet useful project.

#7 ·
Here's an example of a commercial billet hinge... This is a true hinge with an integral shock spring, not just a hood support as is the case with the SL.

Again a purely ornamental project - keeps me out of the bars and close to home :smile

Attachments

#8 ·
Here's an example of a commercial billet hinge... This is a true hinge with an integral shock spring, not just a hood support as is the case with the SL.

Again a purely ornamental project - keeps me out of the bars and close to home :smile

I like those hinges.

Why not extend the project to do hinges like that which might allow you to raise the hood vertical without hitting the cowl vents (which is a real design flaw on the 107 IMO)?

#12 ·
I don't have a page for the mill conversion - so far I'm not doing anything really unique. I'm using the Grizzly G0704 benchtop mill as a basis for the project. It's kind of in the sweet spot (bigger than the HF cheapo mills and not as massive as the Bridgeports) It's kind of become the de facto standard for CNC conversions as everything is very well documented, sorted out, reasonably economical and lots of support. Upgrades have been tested and documented for enclosures, high speed bearings, automatic tool changers, software, controllers, ball screws, motors, oilers, power draw bars, table extensions and so forth.

Because everything is so complex I chose to get the base conversion plans from Hoss and worry about charting new territory once everything is running and stable.

Here are some very lengthy threads on the work that Hoss has done on this machine and a link to his site if you're interested. Google and YouTube searches on "G0704 CNC" will display amazing resources.

Hoss's G0704 - part 1
Hoss's G0704- part 2
g0704.com

Attachments

#16 ·
Making progress on the hood support ("hinge") project. It's been kind of slow going as I had to redo my Z-axis ball screw mount due to binding (actually a purchased plan that had a wrong dimension). Its now working well but learning the software has been a real challenge. I've broken 5 end mills and trashed some aluminum, but it's all part of the process. The supports are mounted and fully functional and about as sturdy as stock.

I'll probably cut another pair and see if I can learn from what I've experienced and get a really first quality pair. As always, learning on a real project is the best.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.