Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Engine Rebuild

5K views 49 replies 14 participants last post by  Flspasta 
#1 ·
Hi, Does anyone know who can rebuild an engine in Toronto Canada? It is for a 1982 380 SL. Wifey did not check the oil and now it is making a really loud noise coming from the bottom of the left side of the engine. Sounds like a bunch of bolts in a coffee can. Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
Something to consider:
- Have you checked the oil? Any oil on the dipstick? It holds 8.5qts so that
is a lot of oil.

- By the sound you mentioned, if you are a lucky dog, check to see if its
a broken cord on one of your Fan Belts. Had a cord break on my 380SL
and it was hitting the Fan Blade making a sound like the Engine had
a serious problem.

- If the Engine is not running, you might have a broken Timing Chain.
BTW, does your 380SL have a Single or Dual row timing chain?

#3 ·
Hi, thanks for the response...the dip stick was dry as a bone. I filled it up again. The engine has a dual timing change and I have checked the belts. The engine will run...but very badly and makes very loud noise from the bottom left side. Almost as if something is broken off and banging on the side.

#4 · (Edited)
So sorry. That is not good.
Must have an oil leak or it smoked really badly or maybe the Jiffy Lube place
did not put in 8.5 qt of oil at oil change.

Have you observed any oil stains on the garage floor?
Can you tell where it is leaking oil?
When was the last oil change?
Did a Jiffy Lube like place change the oil?

There is an Oil Pump down at the bottom front of the Engien driven by
a smaller single row chain ... maybe this? The Oil Pump chain is single row
whether you have a single or double timing chain.

#5 ·
Loss of oil pressure will not only cause wear on the engine and excessive heat, but also the timing chain tensioner will be relying on only the spring with no oil pressure. That could have allowed the chain to slap around and break the plastic timing chain guides. They could still be interfering with the chain and it could have skipped teeth. The fact that the engine is still running is very good news.

There is lots of help available here if you want to pull the valve covers off and inspect to see if any of the upper guides are broken or if you can find worse damage.

#12 ·
Does it sound anything like this?
Feel free to guess what the issue was and what was making that noise. Hint: it's the most common problem in an injected combustion engine IMO.

Darn, are those the same two cars????

I give up - what was making that horrible sound?

#8 ·
Sounds like you got a big decision to make: Rebuild, Sell, or Part Out.
If the car is not in great shape and you have to hire it out to fix, the latter two
might make most sense.

#9 ·
Strange things can happen when a car isn't running right. If truly blue smoke, then you are probably correct. But the only time I'd heard rattling in one of these cars was the above video, which turned out to be spark failure on 6 of 8 cylinders. Replacing the oil (dry dipstick too) and fixing the spark issues ended up with a smooth running car.

#18 ·
Regarding reliable shops in Toronto, I have read good reports on this one:

McNally Auto Service ? Full-service automotive maintenance repair facility

Quite a while back, I had a major engine failure on my 85 300D. I towed it to this smaller shop:

Eurocars
45 Algie Ave
(416) 621-8848

They sourced a good used engine, then rebuilt the top end. 15 years later still running like a top! At that time shop was owned and run by Arthur Drozdz. He knows a lot about early Benzes. Prices were reasonable considering total engine replacement was needed.

Mercedes Canada has an engine rebuilding facility in Toronto. Probably the best, but not likley most economical choice:

Remanufacturing Centre

Good Luck

This post has been deleted
This post has been deleted
#27 ·
Most of you guys missed his @pasta best post, something about him/her having class and that's why he bought a Mercedes. I have that much working class in me that it took 37 years for me to afford my first MB SL the 75. I dips my hat to @pasta for deleting his class post as I found it to be rather crass.

Currumbin SL (proudly working class) :devil

#33 · (Edited)
I agree that some of the posts were uncalled for.

I think it was to you that we suggested in the Vintage forum that you ask your questions here? If so, it was because this is where most of the Benzworld owners of 107s hang out and where you can get the most model specific help.

Sorry if we led you into the lions den. But hope you will stay.

(Do fill in your profile (location and car model & year at least))

#32 · (Edited)
I have been following this thread and I am a little surprised where this ended up.
I find the members here to be extremely helpful and knowledgeable. Completing your profile with basic information about your car (year and model) will help to quickly zoom in on the problem you are experiencing without having to search the thread for the information. The R107 was in production for 18 years and Mercedes continually made changes.

#35 ·
Thank u all and I apologize for how this all went. I am new to the group and I do not know where I have to fill out the info about my model. I have 4 different Mercedes. I have a 1981 380 SL (thenone im having this problem with) 1984 300 D Turbodiesel, 1990 300 E & 2002 E 430. Which car do I register with the group, the one I'm having the issue with? I thought I put my location, Long Island, Dix Hills, NY. I'm sorry again for whatever I did wrong.

#43 ·
I know the area well. You're not 10 minutes away from me.
I haven't seen another 107 in the area for as long as I remember.
Here's a photo of my '83 taken this morning. It looks pretty much the same as yours, except mine hasn't run in 20 years.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Luxury vehicle Mercedes-benz r107 and c107

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.