Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

After 11 years..... PASSWORD PROBLEMS? READ THIS THREAD.

15K views 169 replies 40 participants last post by  SoonerCPA 
#1 ·
....Benzworld forced me to change my password.

Anyone else?

DIG'S EDIT / Sorry nobby, had to be done.
I'm sticking this thread with a title modification. People are still coming back for the first time and are unaware of the problem or don't have the same email address as when they first joined and have forgotten the old one. Send a pm to Digmenow or an email to digmenow@aol.com if you have followed the site instructions regarding "Forgot Password" without success.

Can someone put this link in the first post of this thread?

It's the lost password link that I think everyone needs to click to get a new password.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/login.php?do=lostpw

#7 ·
New Forum changes are driving off memebers ...

Whatever has just happened with changes to this forum is not good.
If others have experienced what I went through we are going to loose
members. My old username "cwmoser" no longer works, nor does the
Forgot Password.

In addition, the new user process has errors and is confusing.
It is not clear at all that the password must be 10 characters long,
contain a symbol, and numbers.

The "Verification" requirement is weird and not clear what is required.
It took a lot of effort to finally figure it out.

#8 ·
Now you can't even EDIT a posting.
Or is it that this is changed to?

#9 ·
Due to a password leak at another (non-car) forum, I started using LastPass for all my passwords. It's a password manager that lets you save the password securely for each site and have it entered into site login forms. It'll also generate secure random passwords for you, so you can use a different one for each site. As far as I'm concerned, it's the right answer to using secure passwords that are different for each site.

I changed my password here a couple of weeks ago. The new one is stronger than the site's requirement.

Reactions: tuc2k
#10 ·
I don't know why it won't let you recover or change your password; others are reporting things work fine once you do.

I do know you can't edit your posts until you've posted a few messages, and you're probably below that limit. I just edited one in another thread with no problems.

#11 ·
That F-ing "Verification" process is annoying having to go through
that for every post. Is the Peach Forum our only alternative?
This forum has been the greatest - I wonder if these changes are going
to be the ruin of BenzWorld.

#18 ·
My only problem was finding the correct email acct. that was used 7 years ago. After that a painless update, and one that should have been done more often, I guess. Interesting that a car forum like Auto Guide would get hacked. I don't see too much sensitive info here, nothing financial unless it's in the PM's. All is back to normal for me, Carl not so much I hear.

#21 ·
Haven't yet had any issues with password changes here, but was recently issued a new password at the Diesel Truck Forums.

#24 ·
I'd do it now.....once you can't use your old password any more, you will have to go through a lengthier process with having the temp password emailed to you etc. etc. If you can get into your CP, just go to the change password section and follow the steps. Be sure to make it one that has all the qualifiers (small case, large case, number, etc etc) and when you do, the red "X" will become a green check. Just my 2cents.....save at bottom and you're done. Then, hope they don't require you to change it again.....:-(

#25 ·
About 5 years ago after one of the major hacks that occurred on some of the big stores, Sikorsky Aircraft made us change to 15 character passwords with caps and symbol's and then made us change them once a month.

My fist PW for those new rules was "FuckmeSuckme*69" easy to remember and in fact I still remember it to this day. Of course after 1 month I got all screwed up.

#26 ·
Wow! I visit the site in the morning so never saw that message which is timed in the afternoon nor did I get the promised email. The reset-protocol finally resulted in an email after about 30 minutes but the new password did not work. It has taken another hour for that to become activated.

So Mr Maynard and others, "Thanks for your support."

#30 ·
Still not working for me.

#31 ·
Software on this forum is hosed ...

1- My email address is not recognized - thus cannot change password which
means I cannot login.
Got in as a new user as "cwmoser-reborn" - which is less than desirable.

2- Trying to login I get taken to a blank screen -- here is the URL:
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/login.php?do=emailpassword

3- My thread post this morning "New Forum changes are driving off memebers"
was Moved and apparently redirected to the thread "After 11 years"

I'm posting this to let you know what it is like from a users perspective.
I'm not a complete idiot - I've spent much of my career writing software
and doing HTML. If I have this kind of difficulty, how about others?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.