Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Oxygen Sensor.

6K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  cwmoser 
#1 ·
In getting all my cluster lights working I have found that I now have a bright glaring oxygen sensor that remain on after the engine is started. Is the 83 the model the model that when you change the sensor the light will (or should) go out.

Is it possible the oxygen sensor the source of my erratic idle.

#2 ·
Walt, it would appear that your O2 probe has been changed previously. According to sect 14-050 of the engine repair manual page 21 0f 26, after the probe is changed at 30,000 miles or 50,000 km, the warning indicator is disabled by removing the bulb. Seems the law only required the warning be given to change the probe once. Can't find where, but I thought I read somewhere it was recommended to change it every 30k. The O2 probe is one input to the ECU that regulates air-fuel ratio.

Best regards, Jack

#3 ·
I am new to oxygen sensors. I've been running older Chevrolets for several years. My car has 1999981 miles on and with all the other item that have found neglected I think I will go ahead and change the sensor. Maybe it'll cure my erratic idling problem.

Thanks

#7 ·
You can see if it's been changed by looking for a splice in the wire next to the sensor. Service interval is as stated 30000 miles or so. It's cheap and an important part of your injection system. Make sure you have a good ground, described in EG107
I rolled up under the car and checked. There is no splice in the wire on the oxygen sensor. If what you say is true then that would mean the car has its original oxygen sensor.

:laugh Gee do suppose its time for a new one?

#5 ·
I too have a 1983 380SL ... yes at 30K miles the Oxygen Sensor light comes
on. Mercedes replaced the Sensor and removed the O2 lamp in the
Instrument Cluster. Kinda crude electronics 33 years ago :)

#6 ·
I now have a bright glaring oxygen sensor that remain on after the engine is started. Is the 83 the model the model that when you change the sensor the light will (or should) go out.

Is it possible the oxygen sensor the source of my erratic idle.
Walt, I guess what I was trying to say is that the warning light is a function of the odometer reaching 30,000 miles the first time. Your O2 probe may or may not be faulty, but it doesn't effect the light, you just have to pull the bulb.

#14 ·
On the 380SL the O2 Sensor is a one wire gizmo with ground being
where is screws into the Exhaust. There have been posts that suggest
one should install a ground strap for the O2 Sensor. The suggestion
was to put a radiator banding strap around the body with one end
of the grounding wire, then the other end of the wire over to the frame.

Still cannot post photos :frown

Reactions: yeibiche
#16 ·
I replaced the O2 Sensor on my 1983 380SL with a Bosch.
Since its a one-wire item, I also attached a ground wire to body frame - just in case there is a grounding issue which some have reported.

My O2 sensor electrical connection was not "plug in" - I had to manually join the wire.

Bumper Fixture Automotive exterior Gas Automotive tire

Reactions: nobby
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.