Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Single person, no mess brake bleeding

6K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  th3h1ghlander 
#1 ·
Inspired by Panzerpuff’s great brake job video (in EG107) I flushed the old fluid out and bled the brakes.

I invested in a pressure brake bleeder from Mercedessource.com, and speed bleeders like Panzerpuff recommended. I can only say that this makes the whole process very easy.

1. Jack up the car and remove wheels to ease access
2. Siphon out the old fluid from the reservoir (optional step, but speeds up the process)
3. Attach capture tank to bleeder fitting and loosen the fitting. Drain rest of fluid out.
4. Mount new speed bleeders and attach capture tank with a clear plastic hose so you can see the fluid
5. Fill 1 liter of dot 4 brake fluid in the pressure tank and screw it tight to the brake reservoir
6. Pump up pressure to 10-15 psi
7. Open the speed bleeder and let flow until no bubbles
8. Close bleeder fitting and proceed to the next wheel
9. Test your pedal travel and check for leaks

Done in an hour :smile

My rotors and pads are almost with no wear, so no need to replace. The only thing amiss was a missing sensor wire that I installed. Recommended interval for brake fluid change is every two years. Brake fluid draws moisture, so it’s a matter of time, not mileage.

BTW – the old bleeder fittings needed a 9mm open-end wrench. The speed bleeders use an 8 mm.

Remember to torque your lug bolts to spec when you’re done! I nearly forgot :eek

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I've been meaning to do this job. Just been working on too much other stuff on the car (read injection lately). Bought one of those Harbor Freight air bleeders. You hook it to the bleeder valve and then basically pull the trigger to run the fluid through. Have not tried it yet, but DID notice I have a band around one of the rear brake hoses that is date coded 6/77!!!!!!

Thankfully have 4 new brake hoses waiting.

#3 ·
I have always bled my brakes single handed. So I am puzzling over just what the SpeedyBleeders do.

I have a home made pressure bleeder made from a garden sprayer that looks just like the Mercedessource one. I pressure the reservoir, then go to each wheel, attach a piece of clear tubing that dips into some fluid in a Pepsi bottle that hangs in the wheel well. Then crack the bleeder open and bleed slowly until the fluid runs clear. Then tighten bleeder back up. Between bleeding each wheel, I make sure pressure is still up and that there is enough fluid in pressure bleeder tank. Also tip out some of the fluid in pepsi bottle. At the end, when done, pressure is let out of pressure bleeder tank. This automatically sucks excess fluid out of reservoir, leaving it at correct level (cap has a nipple that protrudes down that allows this to happen)

Interested to understand how the SpeedyBleeders might make this easier?

#4 ·
Speed bleeders eliminate the need for the pressure bleeder, whether homemade or purchased. No pressure vessel is involved. Just open the speed bleeder and pump the brake pedal as you would in a two-person operation. There is no need for a second person at the bleeder, it is a one-way valve and one person operation.

#5 ·
There is a simpler way. Many of the hand vacuum pumps also double as a brake bleeder. They come with a reservoir that connects inline on the vacuum hose. Basically you vacuum the brake fluid out the line. The reservoir catches it and you pour it back into the master cylinder.

#9 ·
I have always used a one man pressure bleeding kit. It works as the following:

Cap with two pipes screws onto new brake fluid bottle or spare reservoir bottle from the kit, one pipe then goes to to another screw cap while you put onto the car brake reservoir. The unconnected pipe from the first cap you connect to your spare tyre to pressurise the system an voila, one man bleed at each nipple (keeping a very close eye on the new break fluid left)

Easy. Used it on 5 different cars over last 16years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#10 · (Edited)
I gravity bleed the brakes on my cars. Have not done it on the SL yet. It is very simple, takes a little more time but the end result speaks for itself.

1. Put the car on jack stands and remove all 4 wheels.
2. Remove as much brake fluid from the reservoir as possible and fill with new fluid.
3. Attach a clear piece of tubing to the bleeder screw on one wheel and stick the other end into a clear empty water bottle.
4. Open the bleeder sceew and let the old brake fluid bleed out. As soon as new fluid comes out tighten the bleeder screw.
5. Move on to the next wheel.

During this whole process make sure you keep the reservoir filled with new brake fluid.

The brake pedal feel afterwards is excellent.

#11 ·
I guess there are just as many opinions as members out there :)

My intention was just to share my experience, that a pressure bleeder and/or speed bleeders are easy and safe to use for a beginner DIY. No need to bring it to the shop. I agree using both is redundant, but I bought first the speed bleeders, then later the pressure pump after educating myself further. I wanted to give it a try.

#12 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.