Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

OT: Quest For The Holy Travel Trailer

20K views 265 replies 38 participants last post by  Fonzi 
#1 ·
I have been methodically searching for a travel trailer that suits my needs and critical eye.

Many of the affordable trailers are made like shit. Assembly line garbage with owner reviews to match.

I've seen, walked in, checked out approximately 100 trailers, so far.

Criteria?

24 feet long....from bow to stern (parking issues)

No hybrids and no slides.

Tandem axles.

Sleeps minimum 2.

Can't be a piece of shit.

I found one that fits my criteria AND is built rock solid.....but it's not sold in Canada. So far no answer to my email inquiries.

Built in Oregon by Northwood Mfg.

The Nash 17K........................Northwood | Nash 17K

I WANT ONE.

See less See more
#2 ·
Nobby, we are of like minds.
I'm looking for a travel trailer too.
A small one - my vehicle max tow is 6500 lbs and I
don't want to be at the max.

My problem is I don't know much about them.
Never owned one.

#3 ·
My problem is I don't know much about them.
Never owned one.
Nor do I.

Learning as I go....but I can still see shoddy workmanship from a mile.

Attachments

#8 ·
Nobby, there is a Nash dealer in Bayfield. And one by Montreal. Are they the ones that don't answer email? Having had a couple of trailers, I can speak for the cheap materials and fixtures, but I have put many miles on them, and the chassis and running gear is about the same for all. I modified my last 30 footer with real galley and living stuff from the marine industry. But it was old, and I got it cheap. RV's are really something that can be a better buy used. Big hit by the first owner. Good luck on your quest, and you will love the lifestyle.

#10 ·
Nobby, there is a Nash dealer in Bayfield. And one by Montreal. Are they the ones that don't answer email?
No...head office didn't answer. I finally called them...to find out that the Montreal dealer isn't "eligible" to sell the Nash.

Territory, I guess. Closet dealer that actually has the Nash 17K in stock?
Lethbridge, Alberta. Talked to them today, as well.

Further conversation tomorrow.

#9 ·
Nobby, my daughter and her boyfriend have the model you're looking at. The only issue has been a failed water pump, but that was taken care of by the dealer. They bought new. It also seems to have a magnetic attraction to the poles holding up the structure they park under, but I'm pretty sure that's owner issues.
Mine is a larger 5th wheel bought used - hotshoe is right, there is a big hit in price after the first year or two after they roll off the dealer lot.
If at all possible, store indoors. UV kills the exterior parts as much as bad weather.

#11 ·
Nobby, my daughter and her boyfriend have the model you're looking at. The only issue has been a failed water pump, but that was taken care of by the dealer. They bought new.
Do they LOVE it?

And what do you think of the fit, form and function?

I'd be buying sight unseen. Any info would be great.

Only one left in stock in Canada.

#12 ·
You are a DIYer, about $750 at Cabelas, would probably fit in the trunk of the Pig:devil

Most of my friends have camp trailers, but the majority of the beer is drank in the tent, no worries, about muddy feet, and a hot wood stove. I can set up and tear down almost in the same time friends need to do their campers.

Have camped at 0F, just need to stoke wood stove every 2-4 hours:grin

Attachments

#17 ·
From someone who has owned a 12 ft camper that fits in the back of a pickup, a 30 ft Fireball alumin sided and top camper trailer, a 40 ft Dutch Star diesel pusher with 4 slideouts, .....they all cost you if you dont use them... The dutch star was pure comfort..
Paid almost 175k for a 2 year old model with 26k on the clock, and sold it after 5 years of use for 100k and it had 62k on the clock. I lost a shitload if money.

I been there and done that... Now its a king size bed in a hotel...no maintenance.....no parking storage... Just a local bar and restaurant and back on the road the next morning

#19 ·
..they all cost you if you dont use them... I lost a shitload if money.

I been there and done that...
Thank Dennis.

Ya.....I've been thinking about this non-stop.

I've been lucky and have been working my ass off to finally get ahead financially.

Dropping $34,000 on a travel trailer makes my heart pound.

While I can see myself using it......how many times before it makes financial sense?

I'm going to sit back and wait for something to fall into my lap.

I can fix / rebuild anything so maybe a nice used one with good bones....throw in a new mattress and toilet to make Nobette happy.:)

#20 ·
I told my wife we don't need one with a toilet ... just use public facilities.
Her response was bull sh*t :)
I think I can "camp" rougher than she can.

Like Dennis is alluding too, unless you use it a lot a new Camper is likely to
cost you more than just paying for Hotel Rooms.

#21 ·
A $34,000 trailer used 68 times is still $500 per use!

You can get a lot of hookers and hot sauce for that kind of $$.

But, it is a life style....and I want to be able to go off the grid.

#24 ·
Have you considered a pop-up type? We had one for quite a while that worked out nicely. Even camping out in the back yard for a week while the interior of the house was tiled and painted.

They fold down and in, making a much smaller towing/storage size, but are pretty roomy when unfolded. My thinking was that it wasn't necessary to haul a bunch of empty space down the road. I've seen what crosswinds do to light, high profile vehicles too many times.

They're a bit of a process to set up, but you have the skills to deal with that.

Just an idea,
Scott

#26 ·
Have you considered a pop-up type?
Nope.

I wanna "park and sleep".

Or park and drink...whatever.....I don't want any struggles trying to set up in the rain or dark.

Maybe a Class C....and tow The PIG behind it. :)

#27 ·
Knobs, I had a 21 ft. Fifth Wheel

Lots of room for a small family. A fifth wheel has a "loft" bedroom over the truck bed that frees a lot of space. Nice bath and shower, galley and seating. My Ram 1500 did not even know that thing was behind. Fifth wheel tows great with no sway or cross-wind vulnerability. Low stuff still fits in truck bed. Backing is different from a tow-behind because the hitch is in front of the axle instead of behind but you can get used to anything. A Fifth Wheel also hooks up easier since you can look out the back window while lining it up over the truck bed. Only down-side is fuel economy. It catches a lot of air sticking up over the cab and wind drag costs some fuel economy.

I considered an RV and rejected it because it is another motor vehicle needing maintenance, insurance, taxes and registration. In my state (Virginia) a towed vehicle is covered under the basic tow-vehicle insurance and a lifetime registration fee is very reasonable. You would just have to resolve yourself to travel as an end to itself and leave the Pig at home. Your Ram is your transportation at destination.

#28 ·
Lots of room for a small family. A fifth wheel has a "loft" bedroom over the truck bed that frees a lot of space. Nice bath and shower, galley and seating. My Ram 1500 did not even know that thing was behind. Fifth wheel tows great with no sway or cross-wind vulnerability. Low stuff still fits in truck bed. Backing is different from a tow-behind because the hitch is in front of the axle instead of behind but you can get used to anything. A Fifth Wheel also hooks up easier since you can look out the back window while lining it up over the truck bed. Only down-side is fuel economy. It catches a lot of air sticking up over the cab and wind drag costs some fuel economy.

I considered an RV and rejected it because it is another motor vehicle needing maintenance, insurance, taxes and registration. In my state (Virginia) a towed vehicle is covered under the basic tow-vehicle insurance and a lifetime registration fee is very reasonable. You would just have to resolve yourself to travel as an end to itself and leave the Pig at home. Your Ram is your transportation at destination.
Thank you double R.

I am still on the fence about the whole thing.

I REALLY want that Nash.

#34 ·
Nobb-ster.....you got a RAM pickup. I have a very nice 12 ft Lance camper that has the shower and toilet, fridge...dinette table. Closet. Dual propane tanks... that are built into right side of camper above the truck bed rail. Has hydraulic jacks. It all you need for you and nobette. Sleeper is over the truck cab. I dont know if I got any photos with me here in florida. Its behind my shop in Paso Robles. Parked under a pole barn. Pretty good outdoor camping quarters for $7500.00

#39 ·
I have a 24 foot Airstream Tradewind single axle from the late 50's.

All trailers leak.

The aluminum skin changed alloys in the 70's, I believe, and so will not buff to a mirror finish.

Did I mention all trailers leak ?

They are easy to gut, and go back with how much and whatever interior you wish.

I suggest a low voltage (12v) system for lighting and refrigeration, and lp gas.

Water is easy, the bath is either all the way back or midships.

Oh yeah, and all trailers leak.

Much like Benzworld, there is a pretty good Airstream Forum for restoration and information.

#41 ·
So I've now looked at some used trailers...more in line with my budget....but, sigh.....I must be getting soft.

In years past I would have had a positive attitude.

"I can fix that!"

"No problem...I can rebuild that!"

"Easy...I'll just rewire everything!"

I was very much saddened by what I saw and no desire to do an overhaul.

So....looking at flights to Calgary this weekend.:)

#42 ·
Have you compared the prices in Oregon vs. Calgary? Sometimes even with our crappy exchange rate the US price is still cheaper. And importing a trailer to Canada is a trivial exercise.

#44 ·
Sigh.

Looked at a beauty today...a Dutchman...great floor plan and very well kept.. Unfortunately.....I put my finger through the front wall under the couch in a stowage cubby. Went underneath and the floor is rotten there, as well. Buy...were THEY surprised! They pulled the ad and will get it repaired.

So now I'm putting myself on standby.

I'll know when it's right.

#48 ·
I always question the purchase of a boat, travel trailer, motor home, ect...... by a single party......

My belief is that unless you will utilize the unit you purchase frequently, it is not cost effective, period.....

When you consider the original purchase price, registration, plates, and cost of a vehicle to transport your purchase, and then storage, it ends up costing much more than expected....

If for travel, you could almost drive your preferred vehicle at the time, stay at a 5 star hotel, and save money..... if only a few times a year...

I have known toooooooo many people that have purchased toys with all good intentions of driving it into the ground or water just to see it sit for years not having time to play with it later....

There are rentals available for what ever you desire, and what may seem a little steep at the time, very cost effective....

I did purchase a pop-up trailer for $1000, but when i don't go camping, i set it up in the back yard for the grand kids and Canadians when they stop by........

Just my 2 cents, that's 2.7 cents Canadian..... :)

May-be if you hit the lottery or retire it would be ok, :)

RC

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.