Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Hopefully my last 107 purchase, ...

4K views 35 replies 12 participants last post by  Currumbin SL 
#1 ·
Hey all, I've been working on a 5litre conversion for my 81 rust free 380SL. I looked at this 107 last week and had to have it, so home she came. Her vin is 107046 22 000102, now I am at peace in the 107 universe.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Hey John, the 500SL is a very desirable model here in the states.
Only driven one 500SL in my life and it was kinda rough.
Post some pictures, and good luck with the new addition.

Reactions: Currumbin SL
#14 ·
Hey Carl,thank you for the encouragement on my latest 107 and yes this one is definitely kinda rough. I think this will be a running restoration as it came with 3mths left to run on the rego and I've already had a Safety Certificate issued for the change of ownership into my name. One of the first jobs is to colour black the sun visors you sent me and replace the bags of crumbs currently hanging forlornly in my line of sight. I should be receiving flex discs, centre bearing and bilsteins ×4 sometime later this week from Shane,so that's a good start. I may just continue this thread as my resto thread.

#6 ·
Well done - go for it.

Assume you plan to swap the drivetrain: engine, fuelpump relay?, first gear start relay, transmission, rear axle and start torque compensators. You no longer need the vacuum load switch mounted on the firewall.

Have owned a 280 and have a 500 now, the 500 can spin on dry tarmac, so have to be careful when applying throtle on curvy wet roads, tail comes out. Not an issue with the 280.

#7 ·
How did I get here, ...107 peace.

I acquired my first 107 four years ago, a 75 450sl that had sat for 8yrs with rear end body damage. Thanks to this forum and my MB indie mechanic telling me I wasn't serious about the car I learned d-jet and did the get her to go and stop part. Two body shops and many thousands of dollars later she became ready for paint only last Monday,..let this time frame be a lesson to newbies. I had paid $1,000 for this cheap Mercedes SL,ha ha ha ha ha !! :frown I finally paid the piper after 'lurking' for the best part of three years, becoming a Premium member is worth its weight in gold. Contribute or pay is the best way to go if you are going to resurrect a 107 as the information and help from this forum is invaluable. Anyway onwards and upwards, next came a 81380SL minus engine/transmission but "totally rust free" , not a bad buy for $700 and a drive to Sydney and back(1800km) So now I need an engine and transmission, I know I'll buy that 72 350slc with the awesome black leather interior for $300. Around this time(18mths ago) I decided to source a 5litre combo from a coupe and do the right conversion, build a 500SL geez how hard could that be. BenzWorld veterans should be laughing their heads off at this point in my 107 story, but wait there's more. Twelve months ago I line up a local MB business to supply and install the 500 conversion, 6 months later he tells me to take my business elsewhere(WTF) no reason given. By this stage of the saga I have my heart set on owning and bloody well driving a 5litre powered R107 and nothing is going to stop me. The search starts for a C126 of you guessed it, the 5litre variety. What's easier, buy that engine/tranny from Brisbane or buy the whole thing 2hrs further up the Sunshine Coast. I show off my 85 500SEC to my panelbeater and he forbids me extracting the mechanicals, nup bring it around tomorrow I'll fix those couple of small surface rust spots. This coupe was registered and I drove to Sydney and back for Christmas, I am now a very happy Benz nutter. So back to project 107 "breast augmentation" of my rust free 380. Off to Brisbane to pick up the other 500SEC,whole car minus seats and front suspension, another bloody Mercedes Benz. Luck would have it I live on a 150 acre property so there's more than enough room for all my girls(107's and 126's) Through mutual friends I find a Benz wrecker who specializes in resurrecting 123,124 and 126's and I decide to pay this man a visit. As I enter his office I spy the instantly recognizable grill of a 107 in the workshop. No no no no no,...run in the opposite direction, but no I didn't. This 73 450SL I later bought and sold the 72 SLC to him(good bloke) as part of the transaction. Why did I buy this car ?? Glad you asked. This silver with blue leather interior 107 has the rear seats(oem) and a crane conversion had been installed on the ignition system. Believe it or not that was my reasoning, what is it with these particular cars. Rowdie, Fonzi if you have any ideas why please feel free to enlighten the forum and me in particular as isthisdave has me wondering after reading his comment. Anyway back to project 500,soooooo two weeks ago a 1980 500SL with 59,000 miles is listed on Gumtree, a bit rough looking but hey only 3hrs away. Tuesday of last week I am on the Sunshine Coast and end up leaving a message on his mobile phone, oh well not to worry as I wasn't prepared to pay his asking price. Forty minutes into the drive home he returns my call,hi John it's John, blah blah blah blah blah. By the way I've dropped the price by $2,500 non negotiable, if you are still reading my sad little story you'll know what happens next. I turn the SEC around and hot foot it back up the coast, mechanically good, floors and boot(trunk) like new but there's a few surface rust spots and the black leather interior(another oem rear seat incl'd) is very average. As we part the owner tells me I will have first right of refusal as I'm the only prospective buyer who has actually been to see the car. You can imagine the smile on my face as I drove my good friends black F-350 banana back tow truck back from the Sunny Coast with a white (737G) 107 046 "The Real Thing" snugly chained down staring back at me in the rear view mirrors. :grin
More photos to come.

#11 ·
Contribute or pay is the best way to go if you are going to resurrect a 107 as the information and help from this forum is invaluable.
Great read. Love stories like this.

But.......you are certifiable.

#9 ·
As promised, more photos of MY 107 046

Attachments

#10 ·
Diamond in the rough,...

I was concerned with a few issues with the car as I had changed out the god awful late 90's MB alloys that came on the 500. The wheels I now have on the car are some sort of imitation 16' Penta look,Penta style, 5 spoke with polished rim. Anyway the front end had felt a bit skittish so checked with my mechanic friend on whether it needs a wheel alignment as he has driven the car. No mate,all it needs is a good flogging out on the highway he replied, @ the infamous Italian tune up. Took the SL down the coast 30km or so on the 110kmh h/way,and was blown away by the power. I now appreciate why this particular variant of the 107 is so revered, its torque curve feels elastic. Taking it to my MB indie today to give it a good going over, only downside being he's 1hr south of here so here's praying I still have some points left on my license by the end of today. :wink

#23 ·
yes there is...

...I think it is called a " partially-scratched itch ."

some people who don't have one Mercedes envy people who do. Some who have a Mercedes envy those who have an SL. Some of those who have an SL, admire those who have two...or three...or four.

You are a good man John. Bonkers as a box of frogs, but a good man none the less.:angel Keep those beauties rolling.

#16 ·
Timing chain etc done today, ...

Well you can call me Lucky from now on because you are not going to believe this. I have been trying to get my MB indie to do the timing chain, sprockets, guides, tensioner etc etc for the past month or so. Arrived last Friday morning at his workshop at 5am to give the engine cooling off time, hung around for 7hrs waiting to no avail until he said Monday morning is a definite. Today up at 4am for the 1hr drive south to Byron Bay. After an hour or two into the job I'm called over to be shown the 'you guessed it' left hand side upper guide split in two yet still hanging by their pins. I grab a torch for a closer look and my mechanic is still wearing this look of "I cannot believe how lucky this is for you". Picture the look on his face when a little while later I'm yet again summoned for another look into the right side abyss. This time it's a bit different, only half of the upper guide is left. Whilst cleaning the surface of the valve covers I dared to take a look underside of the susceptible left one. Having been blown away by my luck so far,and workload,my indie hadn't yet seen the scouring. I showed him and he could only shake his head slowly from side to side with the most manic grin I have ever seen:angel. I left the workshop at 7pm for the 1hr drive home, and may I say that yes I was feeling rather LUCKY. :devil

#17 · (Edited)
You are indeed lucky you did not destroy your Engine.
I think I would go buy a Lottery Ticket to see if I had any more luck left :)

BTW, did you notice any "feel* with the Engine afterwards?
When I had my 380SL converted to dual row timing chain the engine had a
nice tight feel to it.

#18 ·
Lucky yes,but foolish more so.

Carl thank you for your reply, yes I will be buying a lottery ticket today. I'm hoping that my experience will be a vivid lesson for forum members and visitors to just do it, ...check the health of your timing chain and most importantly guides. My guides were dark brown and two broken and the chain had stretch, all were factory original. I have to mention that when my mechanic was winding on the new chain and I was keeping chain snug on the right sprocket it was quite nerve wracking. The one thing you have to remember is this is a 60,000 mile car verified and was driven rather sedateley for the past 11yrs. After reassembly we took the 500 for a 10min shakedown, indie at the wheel. I mentioned how aggressively he drove and was then reminded that he reckons I drive like a grandmother, hmmm. One thing I must mention is Florian my mechanic did point out to at a number of his clients was that my 5litre engine looked internally how it left the factory @ no carbon build up, no sludge etc.

#19 ·
About time for an update, ...

I just thought I'd bring my story up to date as I've spent the whole day at my MB indie. About 6 weeks ago my 046 developed the starter motor/ring gear dance of death, hmm how boring. I could have fixed the starter problem but if the ring gear was shot the car would most likely have to be trailered to him anyway. Removed a spare starter off my 77 450slc parts car and took it as backup. My starter teeth were very worn on removal but the 046 ring gear was fine so luckily that was fixed in the 1st hour. Had the engine and transmission fluids drained, flushed and new filters installed. Next was brake pads, rotors all round and new front wheel bearings. Together with having the penta 5 spoke knockoffs made perfectly round and new center bores inserted last week and all the other little stuff I've done over the past 5 months I feel like I am actually getting somewhere. You know that stage you reach with our 107's where you start to feel proud of what you've achieved and know if you had to that you could use it as a daily driver well that's where I am at. My 500SL will always be a diamond in the rough because I absolutely love patina, but at least underneath that average exterior lis a very, very well sorted 107 046. I will now look forward to my annual 1700km round trip to Sydney to spend a week or so with my brothers and sister with confidence and of course it will be in style as I'll be driving my R107 500SL there and back. :grin

#20 · (Edited)
Mini update, ..
According to the veterans here on the 107 forum when you acquire one of these old cars you first make it go,then you make it stop and then you can make it puuurtty. I like to think that I have achieved the first two so now it's time for the 'making it pretty'. I have already done all the little things like mounting my best set of taillights, various chrome pieces,and swapping in my re-dyed front and rear seats. The first major body fix I did last year was the rear bumper and valance and I still have to do the front but hey these cars are a journey and not just a destination. I had my paint and panel bloke spray the best of the boot lids (trunk) and we attached it last week. Previously my 046 had the spoiler so this look is a bit of a change but of course I have a very good condition spoiler that I may attach. My only concern is the new boot lid has the chrome handle and I want to keep the car looking stock so what to do? I will be fixing the old boot lid so I may just leave it so that I have the option of remounting it for the more aggressive look.

Attachments

#21 ·
The 15 inch update, ...

As mentioned in Nobbys MPG thread I said that photos were forthcoming. As well as the 15 inch Fuchs I finally re sprayed a 560sl spoiler I'd bought a couple of years ago and attached it. I guess I'm turning my 1980 500SL into a "Bitsa" as in bits of this and bits from that.

John :eek

#22 ·
My apologies gang as I still don't know how to attach photos when posting with my tablet. PS,my phone camera is rooted hence the dark smudges in all of the shots.

Attachments

#24 ·
Thanks wheel aficionados,

Geez you lot are a tough crowd, not one effing comment about the 15' otto fuchs bundts. My local car nut friends eyes glaze over when I talk about the SL or SEC so that's why I make an effort here. Personally I couldn't give a f#&k but I feel for some of the new members who post here and get snubbed. I suppose a lot of us newbies have to accept that the 107 forum is a classic "old boys club" and it wouldn't matter what we had to offer.

Currumbin SL (OUT)

#26 ·
Geez you lot are a tough crowd, not one effing comment about the 15' otto fuchs bundts. My local car nut friends eyes glaze over when I talk about the SL or SEC so that's why I make an effort here. Personally I couldn't give a f#&k but I feel for some of the new members who post here and get snubbed. I suppose a lot of us newbies have to accept that the 107 forum is a classic "old boys club" and it wouldn't matter what we had to offer.

Currumbin SL (OUT)

I live in the boonies - never heard of "15' otto fuchs bundts" :eek
Country boys like me drink cheap beer and haven't partaken in some of the
finer things in life :|

You did peek my interest and I zoomed in on your
second photo and those bundts do look like they
are wider than typical.

Reactions: Elmer Fudd
#25 ·
I haven't been on this forum for very long but during that comparatively short time I have received some good advice on a couple of occasions and been scolded only once (it goes against the grain to admit it but I wasn't following procedure and suppose I deserved it). That said however, I have noticed a certain amount of closed minded opinions being aired from time to time. Things like wheel arch chrome trim are either hated or loved and these opinions are held in a "don't confuse me with facts when my mind is made up" style. Most cars, the 107 included, are produced by a manufacturer trying to appeal to as broad a constituency as possible and consequently there is undoubtedly room for self expression when individual owners wish to dress up/down their cars. My own feeling is that if I like something non standard I'll use it and if other people don't care for this they are completely at liberty to not do the same on their car. Sorry nobody said anything either nice or nasty about your wheels Currumbin. If you like them keep them and don't forget to wave that aristocratic middle finger at naysayers as you drive by.

#28 ·
I didn't know it was the bundts you were focussed on

I thought it was the car.
John, I luv'em. I couldn't find any like that for mine at a price I was willing or able to pay, so I settled for AMG Penta-likes from Melber. The PO had swapped the 14" Bundts for 15" 8 holers a la R129. When i say swapped, only left one spare. some people....
I like the fact I can get a decent range of tyres and have a funky-looking wheel. Much as you do.

Can't say i feel cliquey, one way or the other, 'm too busy carving my own path to the day of reckoning.....:devil

#29 ·
I live on acreage in a semi rural area and the road has no street lights. I was coming home last night at 7pm and accidentally ran over and killed my neighbors dog. This was the damage so far as I haven't put the car on a lift yet. The poor dog never stood a chance sadly. Earlier in the day a young woman had rear ended the SL, luckily the only damage was her number plate being indented by my bumper rubber. Yesterday was a day to forget.

Attachments

#31 ·
Ouch. Sorry to hear about your SL, the dog, and your bad day.

#32 ·
Piano piano as the Italian saying goes as I finessed the rear wheel arches so I could fit my staggered set of ats 5 spoke wheels ( 16 × 8 and 16 × 9 rear ) without any rubbing issues. I've also mounted the original boot lid for the proper 107 046 stock look. I do like the classic look but love this look a whole lot more. Sweeeeet.
PS, it now handles like it's on rails and that's got to be a good thing.

Attachments

#33 ·
Looks less pussyfied and more aggressive :smile

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.