Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Subwoofer location question

7K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  gwg 
#1 ·
When I recently purchased my 88 560sl it came with a "dead" Becker radio. I have subsequently ordered a Kenwood HU, a set of Pioneer enclosed surface mount speakers (for the back seat area) and a 8" Bazooka 100 watt powered subwoofer.

Originally I intended to place the subwoofer in between the Pioneers however upon actual placement in the rear seat area I find that it is a very tight fit. Bazooka literature recommends placement in the trunk. There certainly is room for this sub and its placement in the trunk enables easy connection to the battery.

Here are my two questions:

1) At least one forum member (I think in 2004) said don't place the sub in the trunk since it will cause undesirable vibrations and noise. Since the trunk lid itself is aluminum that certainly could be the case. Another member has reported no ill noises from placing a subwoofer in the trunk.

Are there others out there with an opinion before I begin experimentation?

2) Secondly, it would appear that since the gas tank is located in the right rear area of the trunk it would be best to not attempt securing the subwoofer by way of screws in that area for fear that I might puncture said tank.

What about the left side of the trunk? What is underneath that area? I would only be sinking about 1/2" screws in order to secure the sub. Certainly do not want to ruin anything.

Thanks ahead of time for any opinions and/or advice with your experience. I was able to get the Becker out with no problems and did not have to take out any other parts such as the climate control panel. Really very easy - just pushing down on the two tabs securing the unit.

I'll post photos once I have it all installed. My cost for everything so far is around $350. By the time I'm done I'm probably looking around $400.

See less See more
#2 ·
Overkill? I did what you plan but not the powered sub. New 2-way speaks for the dash; enclosed marine-grade 3-ways to sit on the shelf in the corners; new Becker 4302 head unit, says Mercedes right on it. I figured its a convertible, the sound will always be competing with road noise and wind, why take it any farther? But there is a whole thread on audio systems.

#7 · (Edited)
I have an 8" Bazooka on the rear deck between 2 - 9"x6" speakers. Also installed new front speakers. Head is a Sony with separate sub control. All works fine but don't expect symphonic results in a convertible.
I haven't tried the Bazooka in the trunk but I think its effect might be lost with the gas tank in between it and the cabin.

#12 ·
#13 ·
Bulkhead Depth to Gas Tank

Believe it or not, I read that entire thread!! Got some good ideas but was not able to find the answer to the following question and perhaps some good forum member can supply this for me:

how deep can I install a screw in the backseat bulkhead before there is a danger of damaging the gas tank?

what I want to do is to mount some speaker onto the bulkhead but I certainly do not want to damage the gas tank in any way; that would be disastrous!!

thanks

#19 · (Edited)
No, the 8" sub will not fit there. Even the 6" will not fit. In addition to that 5" sub I have two more 6" Kicker subs mounted to the bottom of the sound board in the back. There are no holes, just spaced them 1/4" using 4 washers at each of the 8 mounting holes. The two 6x9 3-way speakers do have a hole in the plywood, covered by a steel grid mesh and an upholstery liner from Pep Boys. From the outside it looks just like the stock bench seat.

#20 ·
@dragonflyer that's an excellent solution! I have the rear seats, don't want to cut the sides and want to keep the system looking stock. Was thinking of adding a small amplifier to the stock head unit and a bass speaker to improve the sound from the very low mids to lows. This placement might be the solution for me. How did you secure it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.