Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Headliner suggestions (DIY)

561 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  nobby 
#1 ·
I removed my Hardtop on my 450sl just before last summer, gnarly rust building up under the rear window chrome peice.. And subsequently the entire rear bottom shell hidden by chrome had entirely rusted. Fortunatly- No body rust! Just faint signs of faded paint underneath. Hardly noticable after wash. Anyhow I stripped all my usable chrome/trim/rubber. Found a older lady with an original 74 hardtop ( car sold years ago )... She stripped all the original beautiful chrome and trim and sold all but the shell!.. I ended up with a free shell with original rear window dealer stickers. :D. Just metalic beige.. Long story short Im going to install a custom non OEM headliner from WLS headliners with foam backing and adhesive. And remove my old rods and not use the older style headliner. I will document/post my progress once headliner kit comes. I'd love to hear if any of you guys have attempted anything like this in your own R107.

#2 ·
I treat my hard top like a red headed step child. I stand it in a corner and completely ignore it.

So.....never cared enough to even inspect the condition of the headliner.

But I am curious as to your future progress.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.