Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Dash Removal Stuck

750 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Aussiemerc 
#1 ·
In the process of trying to be very through on fixing all the vacuum leaks on my 83 380SL I decided to remove the dash panel so I can direct and uninhibited access to all the innards. I seem to be stuck after removing the 2 lower support bolts, the small nuts at each end and the bolt directly in the middle. There seems to be one or more other bolts that I am unable to see.

One of the instructions (number 9) states that I need to:
Disconnect cable control for the two lateral ring nozzles
on the flap in the air duct and loosen the holding clip.

To be honest I'm not sure what they are referring to. The dash seems to still attached in some manner someplace just to the right of the instrument cluster near the windshield. I just cannot seem to detect where. My mechanicing experience has taught me to never force anything as that's the way things usually get damaged.

Some direction from the experienced would be appreciated.

#4 ·
I got it.

Turns out that there was a spot of adhesive on the top center mount. Even then these dash panels are a tight fit. It was reluctant to come out.

Iv'e seen the video that Ruindr posted. It's really too fast to be of use. If was a 30 minute video I would have gladly sat through it. Thanks anyway.

#5 ·
They are always "reluctant". Slight flexing at the non-instrument side is usually necessary for removal and replacement.You need to be careful in the corners when replacing. I tore mine slightly by rushing. it's a good idea to check/lubricate the windscreen wiper mechanisms while the dash is out.

#6 ·
Nozzles- dash removal

One of the instructions (number 9) states that I need to:
Disconnect cable control for the two lateral ring nozzles
on the flap in the air duct and loosen the holding clip.

To be honest I'm not sure what they are referring to.

Some direction from the experienced would be appreciated.
They are referring to the gunsight slider cables but if you have the dash out you've already dealt with that

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.