Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Small victory

646 views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Ianwright40 
#1 ·
Today I have scored my first victory in the war against age. My VDO clock was not working... This is not the one in the cluster but the stand alone deal. I managed to get this out, clean it and get the thing running, at the same time everything else I touched managed to go back without disintegrating. So a free repair, my first on the 450 SL; everything else I have worked on thus far had required copious amounts of money and that sharp intake of breath that dealers give just prior to an outlandish estimate. Anyone know of SL Owners clubs in Ocala Fl Area? I am feeling very alone here..... :eek

#3 ·
A win is still a win. :thumbsup:

You surely have some 107 owners close, but I can't say who. It is a big state! However, it's pretty much the same here in the Midwest.

#5 · (Edited)
Isn't Ocala near The Villages? Seem to recall one owner is moving there soon.

By the way, repair to self winding 107 clock was one of first repairs I did back in 89/90 when I first bought my 350SL. Still works, but I have never got it adjusted quite right so it keeps proper time.

#6 ·
This is what wasn't too helpful.
An internet search for 107 or other M-B Clubs in (N) Central Fl revealed links to MBUSA, some dealers located in FL, some nearby dealers to the Ocala area and a link to MBCA.
Since I'm also a member of MBCA, I checked around there and found very little. They provide hardly any contact info about members (even to fellow members) and the one resource that might have been useful was their Forums which have been shut down (temporarily or permanently?)...I don't know which. I also tried the nearest chapter located in the Orlando area to see if there was any contact info and this is all I could discover there:
Central Florida | Mercedes-Benz Club of America

I finally thought to check with the area's listed repair shops as shown here at BW thinking there might be some member(s) who recommended a shop and left their profile info as a resource for contacting them, even by PM. Here's what I discovered:
An Ocala thread mentioned a now closed Indy shop, but there were 3 members who commented leaving contact info. Here's that thread:
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/u-s-south/1476950-fl-ocala.html

Additionally, a Gainesville thread lists one duplicate member contact and one additional member contact. Here's that thread:
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/u-s-south/1697435-fl-gainesville.html

Neither of these threads is recent, and the members who commented are not frequent contributors, so none of this may be even slightly helpful.

If you can wait for Nobby's invitation for a meet and greet, however, you'll meet an enthusiastic owner who's a valuable resource of information and you may gain a great new friend.

#8 ·
I am sure there are some around. I am slowly getting more involved in the r107 world, I am looking forward to driving the car rather than being underneath it but I appreciate that I will need to get my hands dirty.

As a new owner it is frustrating to know that I have to be much more careful with things. Yesterday I found that the heater control fascia is damaged and could have been damaged by my 'ham fisted' approach to removing it. The plastics may have been fit for the job when built but 43 years later....

I have been reading with interest many of the threads on this forum, the lesson I am learning is to know what you don't know and understand what you can live with. Some of the small things I am doing have made a big impact on drivability for very little cost, this week I replaced the throttle bushings, easy job, good impact. It seems We chose a good first car which is mostly rust free and appears to have a good strong engine... The rest we can work on.

#9 ·
Nearby owners may be found on my registry. Many have not joined for whatever reasons. My hopes when started was to make a self-registering database; however, participation waned, and I am loathe to spend too much time on the project.
The 107SL Source Page
follow the link for the registry...

Should anyone wish to add their car(s), please email me (address is available on website). Provide what info you wish, fictitious or real, its up to you. When time allows, I'll update the list and publish...

Been a while since this registry has been mentioned, so new members may not know of its existence...

CIAO!

#10 ·
Yes the Villages are nearby... The STD capital of North America. My 450SL was actually owned by a couple who retired to the Villages from Missouri... Where I live there are lots of retirees and several have classics or Hotrods but none of them are Mercs... Interesting place to live though. My neighbor came from Germany after the war with her husband who was a full fledged Rocket Scientist....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.