Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Can These Aux Air Valves Be Opened And Cleaned?

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  reno4u2 
#1 · (Edited)
Has anyone attempted to take one of these types of Aux Air Valves apart and clean it. I tested the two contacts with an ohm meter and I get 11 ohms, which suggests that the electrical part is functional. My hunch is is there is a small heating element in there.

I have seen a Youtube video of someone dismantling one for a ?I believe a 500SL and cleaning it, but that one looks different than this one.

These appear to unavailable as a new part. (000 141 12 25) Is there a service that rebuilds these?

Any pointer would be appreciated.

#2 ·
Walt most refer to it as an idle control valve (ICV). New they are stupid money...$500+
Fairly plentiful at salvage yards. Don't recall anyone taking one apart. Just shoot it with carb cleaner, throttle body cleaner or something like that. IIRC there should be a rattling sound when you shake it...been awhile.

#4 ·
...and don't get in a hurry. Fill it with carb cleaner or equivalent and let set overnight or a couple of days. Didn't work... try again. Lots of crud buildup is common.

#5 · (Edited)
I'm still learning the terminology.

Could I partially submerge this with the electrical end up in some good old fashion carburetor dip? I keep some around on account of my 1954 Chevrolet. The stuff is mildly acidic so it should do decent job of cutting through the crud. I am concerned about any possible rubber that might be inside. I would most likely have to flush it out with water afterwards. I don't get why there are no new ICVs replacements being made.

I am also investigating the overvoltage relay. I have read they have a notorious problem with cold solder joints and the need the solder reflowed to make them function properly. Mine seem to be no exception. There are several cold joints on its circuit board.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.