Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Wiper Transmission Pivot Point Repair How-to

3K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  my450 
#1 · (Edited)
Yesterday I removed my instrument panel to see if I could find the cause of why my wipers stopped wiping. I could hear the wiper motor running and the wipers would twitch but no actual wiping action. I thought I would share how I repaired it. The car is an 83 380SL

Photo: wiper1.jpg shows the broken pivot point. There was only one bolt holding it in place. I don't know if the other bolt simply loosened and fell out or a person previous to me needed a bolt and used elsewhere thinking all would be well. (Well obviously not.)

Photo: wiper2.jpg shows where I had my local machine shop braze it back together.

Photos: wiper3.jpg and wiper4.jpg - The person at the machine said that this piece was "pot-metal" -- cast zinc -- but that it readily brazed back together. I got the impression, though, that this wasn't going to be good enough so I made a reinforcing plate out of a piece 1/8" steel strap to strengthen it.

Photo: wiper5.jpg shows the final result. The wiper work great again. The biggest challenge was getting the wiper arm off and back on the swivel ball.

See less See more
#9 ·
What a GREAT thread. Driving home today after a nice fair weather outing, skies open up and it started pouring rain. My wipers started getting misaligned, hitting the trim one minute and only covering have the window the next. Did a quick search and found this thread. As soon as I pulled the panel under the dash, an M6x20 bolt fell out. Bingo!!! Pulled the steeering shell and the instrument cluster as noted. My football was still intact but one of the bolts fell out and the other was loose. A little locktite and put both bolts back in…good as new. It’s raining again…ugh.

#10 ·
Just another great example of how very blessed we are to have this 107 forum and community of "Roadster nuts"!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.